So how does my application stack up?

vanasme

I'm finishing the grueling task of filling out applications for Masters programs (a masters in the History of Medicine/Science and Technology) and like most applicants, I'm just wondering how I compare.

Here's some basic numbers:

Cumulative GPA: 3.61

History GPA: 3.68

GRE Verbal: 510

GRE Math: 730

GRE AW: 4.5

To go into further detail, I think that my GPA is ok - not outstanding, but not horrible either. I know that weakest part of my application is quite obviously my verbal score on the GRE. I'm taking it again in a couple of weeks and I firmly believe that I'll do better this time... I've been memorizing vocab and going over analogies like mad! I can honestly say that the analytical writing score was a shocker, but I've really tried to figure out EXACTLY what the readers are looking for and I think I'll do better the second time around.

My main concern at this point is not necessarily my GRE score (I really believe I can do much better the second time around), but that the rest of my application doesn't seem to make up for my lackluster test scores.

I'm graduating this upcoming May, but I'm graduating a year early and consequently, I had to smash a lot of things into 3 years that most people complete in 4 years. Do you think that the admissions committees will look at this favorably? I think I have a pretty strong writing sample and personal statement (both have been read by a trustworthy professor and he says they are strong), but I really don't haven't anything to show for my History major other than my grades... I haven't presented at any conferences or worked with a professor on his/her research or had any sort of internship. Are any of these things going to affect my ability to get into fairly competitive MA programs? (There are very FEW History of Medicine programs and consequently, they're very competitive).

Also, I was recently selected to participate in a fairly competitive seminar offered by leading historians in my city, but by taking the seminar, I'm making my life A LOT more difficult scheduling wise... and by a lot more difficult I mean nearly impossible. With this being my last semester, I have to squeeze in quite a bit of unfinished graduation requirements and unfortunately, the seminar is 6 credit hours instead of your standard 3 credit hours, which cuts into the time I have to take other classes. Would taking the seminar really strengthen my application? I don't think it will because I won't even have started the seminar when my applications are due, but maybe it would be helpful to say I was selected and will begin in January...? Any thoughts?

If I didn't take the seminar, I could take a history of medicine course... which would be an AMAZING opportunity because the history of medicine is RARELY taught at the undergraduate level... it's the first time its ever been taught at my university and the only course in my city. I also don't know if taking this class would at all affect my graduate school applications, but I don't know if I can pass up the opportunity to take the class!

Finally, I think my letters of recommendation are fine, but I don't exactly think they're glowing either. The professors I asked all knew of my work in the classroom and I'm assuming they wrote favorably about my potential for graduate level work, but I do not believe that the letters offered anything too personal and I'm nervous that they're "cookie cutter" letters. Unfortunately, I did not decide that I wanted to go to grad school until pretty late in the game (at the start of the summer) and I didn't really have a lot of time to get to know my professors before I had to ask them to write me a letter of recommendation.

So what do you think? How does my application look? Are there any last minute recommendations? Should I take the seminar class or the history of medicine class?

You're in the humanities -- your SoP and LoRs are the most important items in your app package. Without reading those, nobody can make an intelligent comment about your application. We can comment on specific questions about your GPA and GRE, but these things do not an application make (at least, not on their own).