Electrical Engineer to Bioinformatics

Ranma

Hi, I'm looking for advice on getting into a Ph.D program in Bioinformatics. Specifically, 1) how can I improve my application and 2) what schools I can shoot for.

My background is: MS from SJSU with 3.4 GPA, and BS from UCSD with 2.9 GPA, both in Electrical Engineering. I believe I have on the GRE at least 760 Q 600 V 5.0 AW (I forgot as I really didn't care much about the GRE and took it blindly). I have about 3 years work exp, though not really research exp since engineer jobs are more development. But I am credited in one research paper as one of the authors for work done on the job. I don't believe I'll be able to get any special rec letters that are much above a generic form letter, due to lack of good longstanding contacts. My GPA is low because I never had passion for EE, but I believe I can explain my interest in biology.

What can I do to have a stronger application for Fall 2012? I have about 6 months before I can apply. Should I take some bio courses (and get the prof to write a letter)? Not sure if there is any lab work I can get into. Does my engineer background help for bioinformatics (I can program, demonstrable by the website I'm building, and have grad level statistics class with grade A-)?

I'm looking to apply to UC Santa Cruz and UC Davis, since they are in the area and seem like I have a reasonable chance of getting into. Should I look for more/less competitive schools? Is bioinformatics a popular field, or is it not popular and specialized, where someone with my background and interest would have an easy chance of getting in?

I appreciate any advice for me, thanks!

• 3 months later...

Taking a bio class would show some commitment, but the class is probably not going to be ideal for a rec letter (large and easy). If I were you, I would do my best to get some experience doing bioinformatics work for a professor. At worst, biologists are always looking for someone who can do a bit of coding for them. You'll be making intern wages, if you're lucky, but it'll get you a letter and some idea of what you're in for if you do this for real.

I agree that taking a bio course or two would be helpful to demonstrate your commitment. If you can find a research position that would dramatically improve your chances, in my opinion. Since you have a background in web development and engineering I think you could easily find a lab that would have a project where you could work on data analysis or database development, but it would likely be unpaid. I would email around, profs are often excited about engineers who want to do this type of work for them. If it goes well you could even get a letter.

I think your background in EE is great and they definitely do look for people with your background, but usually you would need some kind of demonstration of research interest in biology as well. I applied to UC Davis for computer science and UCSC for bioinformatics. I think they're both decently competitive, so if you have your heart set on going next year I would probably apply to a broader range of schools. Not that you wouldn't be a good candidate, depending on your statement, rec letters, etc, but it's always really hard to judge how the process is going to go until you try. Keep in mind that there is a fair deal of randomness to it as well.

For rec letters, if you had any professors/classes that you really liked you may be able to get better letters than you think. I would email your old professors and remind them of your performance in the class and send them an updated CV, hopefully they will agree to write one (they usually do). Having a publication is really great as well, they will look for that.

If you live anywhere near the bay area, it might be worth talking to some graduate students at Davis or Santa Cruz in labs you are interested in working in. You may learn more inside stuff about the programs this way and possibly also get a chance to meet some profs if you drop by the lab. I think if they know you before the application process and you're on their minds it increases your chances of getting in.