Evaluation for 2nd Tier Stat PHD

Hello everyone,

Please help evaluate my chances for second tier Phd's in statistics. I know I don't have any chance for 1st tier.

I have a BBA in Finance from the American University in Dubai

GPA: 3.99

GRE: 800 Q | 370 V | 4.0 AW

Toefl: 116/120

I have taken the following relevant courses:

Math (6 courses):

- Calculus I

- Calculus II

- Multivariable Calculus

- Linear Algebra & Complex variables

- Probability & Statistics in Engineering

- Differential Equations

Other Relevant courses:

- Applied Econometrics

- Introduction to Business Statistics

- Fundamentals of programming (This was all C++)

I was not able to take more advanced courses (eg. real analysis) because my university just does not offer a math degree. I'm thinking 2nd tier is top 20-50, so do you think I have a shot there? The letters of recommendation are ground-breaking, and my one & only A- was English101, so could they see potential and admit based on that or it's just not gonna work?

Thanks in advance for helping.

Edited by abbasfarnas

Guys please help I'd really appreciate your opinions. Although I know I could use extra courses in math/statistics the problem is I can't take any as a non-degree student because I just don't have the money (my undergrad was funded by a scholarship) Forget 2nd tier, is it possible to get into 3rd tier or just any tier for that matter?

Abbas,

What are your research interests?

Please see the PM I sent you. In summary, to get a competitive edge over other applicants, you are going to have to clarify your research interests and find good target departments with faculty interested in the same. Aside from taking more advanced courses somewhere or getting relevant work experience, I can't think of anything else to tell you.