Poor preparation for a Ph.D

90sNickelodeon

I feel like my master's program is not preparing me AT ALL for an advanced degree. I was not expecting this lack of serious academics. I saw the curriculum, and it seemed fine, but when I started taking the classes they were so Mickey Mouse that I became VERY frustrated.

Is anyone else feeling frustrated about the (lack of) rigor in their program?

I feel like my master's program is not preparing me AT ALL for an advanced degree. I was not expecting this lack of serious academics. I saw the curriculum, and it seemed fine, but when I started taking the classes they were so Mickey Mouse that I became VERY frustrated.

Is anyone else feeling frustrated about the (lack of) rigor in their program?

Ditto to that all. I did an MA in my field, but it was a generalist degree and not focused in one area. I also thought I'd stay in the corporate world (which i'm not as I got laid off and have since transitioned to academia), and so i didn't do a thesis.

I think it's just the responsibility of the student in this situation to be proactive and seek out every opportunity you can. Beg, cry, and steal opportunities to teach or do research. Even if the curriculum is not the strongest, you can still make the opportunity worthwhile.

I have sort of a similar experience. My MA was great, I loved the courses, but there were too few required, I took them all in the first year and I spent, eventually, most of my time working on my thesis. Now, going into a PhD program, it's been a long while since I've done coursework and I spent so much time working on a narrow topic that I'm feeling somewhat less prepared than I want to be. It wasn't so much the lack of rigour, although in one area (quant. methods) that's probably the case, but the structure, which, granted, was essentially my doing, and not the program itself.

I assume you only have one year left of your program so it probably doesn't make sense to transfer at this point. Can you take your electives outside of your department to see if you can get rigor that way? Since your classes are easy, I assume you have a lot of time on your hands. I would speak to my professors and look for outside projects/research to get involved with. Perhaps it would make more sense to do an independent research project. It would provide rigor and help you when you apply to doctoral programs. Also where do master's students typically end up for their doctoral degrees in your program? That might also help you gauge the likelihood of gaining admission into certain programs or at least provide you with a starting point. Good luck!