The worth of a foreign degree

I am an American looking to get a Masters in Education. I am currently teaching in Japan and would like to keep traveling a bit before returning home. I have been looking into grad programs in Australia and the UK. However, would a degree from a foreign institution be worth anything in the US? Could I still get a job with one? Would it hurt my chances at getting a job? I know each state has specific requirements for teaching licenses that would likely not be covered in a foreign institution, but what about private schools? What are the pros and cons of this crazy idea of mine?

Any advice would be helpful.

Hey I can't really answer your question about foreign degrees but this might be helpful, especially if your main goal is to get certified to be able to teach in the States or an international school... I've been teaching in Asia for several years, and a couple of years in, I decided I wanted to make education my career, so I started working on an online certification program that would get me a teacher's license in Pennsylvania. A lot of brick-and-mortar universities have such programs, and some are even MATs. (I believe I'm always getting MAT from USC advertisements on my facebook page.) The one I'm doing is all online, so I can do it while I keep teaching here. Only the student teaching isn't online, and they'll even let you do that in international schools if you want. You can take extra courses to get a master's, and your certification courses count toward it. Anyway--might want to look into something like that if you aren't ready to go back to the States yet! (I finally am smile.gif ) Good luck!