Low GRE Score but solid Academic Record

TJ89

Hey guys,

I recently took the GRE exam and didn't do so well (1120-580Q, 540V). I feel like I killed the AWA section so I feel I got between 5.5-6.0. However, I have a solid academic record and experience (3.97 GPA, Phi Beta Kappa, external funding for grad school from my undergraduate institution, soon-to-be publication in Journal of Archaeological Science, 5 summers of fieldwork). I also have a solid, supportive network. I was wondering, given my academic record and my low GRE scores, what you guys thought my chances were to get into a PhD archaeology program. I'm planning on applying to Harvard, UCLA, Vanderbilt, and a couple UK schools. Will my low GRE scores ultimately prevent from getting in anywhere? Appreciate any help/guidance, thanks.

Edited by Bongers

Your credentials in literally every other area look outstanding, so the importance of the GRE in your particular application will likely be small. However, given that you're aiming for top-tier schools, there may be a minimum threshold in place. (It might be 1100, but there's no distinct way to know unless there's explicit information detailing how each department considers the GRE).

I tried looking for average scores for the Harvard program and found nothing. Perhaps you could e-mail the admissions department - without disclosing your scores - and simply ask if they have a minimum requirement for GRE scores and/or if they can provide numbers for their admitted/incoming students.

Your score as-is may factor you out of consideration for fellowships and scholarships. That's why it would be especially valuable to see the scores of other applicants and incoming students. Find out where you stand, if possible, and then assess if you'll be able to still receive serious consideration. If not, you may have to face the annoying possibility of re-taking the test to ensure you're not passed over in the first stage of review.

Thanks for your help. I'll contact my departments of interest and see if I can find out more. I've been hearing conflicting reports all over the interwebs about "cut-off points" and so forth. Do you honestly think they really exist?

Your credentials in literally every other area look outstanding, so the importance of the GRE in your particular application will likely be small. However, given that you're aiming for top-tier schools, there may be a minimum threshold in place. (It might be 1100, but there's no distinct way to know unless there's explicit information detailing how each department considers the GRE).

I tried looking for average scores for the Harvard program and found nothing. Perhaps you could e-mail the admissions department - without disclosing your scores - and simply ask if they have a minimum requirement for GRE scores and/or if they can provide numbers for their admitted/incoming students.

Your score as-is may factor you out of consideration for fellowships and scholarships. That's why it would be especially valuable to see the scores of other applicants and incoming students. Find out where you stand, if possible, and then assess if you'll be able to still receive serious consideration. If not, you may have to face the annoying possibility of re-taking the test to ensure you're not passed over in the first stage of review.

Thanks for your help. I'll contact my departments of interest and see if I can find out more. I've been hearing conflicting reports all over the interwebs about "cut-off points" and so forth. Do you honestly think they really exist?

Unfortunately, it seems that a lot of admissions committees use them to cull the 'weak' applications (but you're right, there are a lot of conflicting reports; I don't think we'll ever know for sure). In any case, an 1120 shouldn't be a huge issue - a 950 or something similar would be a completely different story.

It just wouldn't make any sense if your 3.97, PBK, field experience, and publication can't offset an underwhelming, but not irreparably bad, GRE score. You're not an applicant who needs to use the GRE as a selling point of your academic ability - your other credentials are excellent so all you'd conceivably need to do is get past the threshold.