No writing sample required?!

I was planning on using my senior thesis as a writing sample to give me an extra edge in the application process. It is a strong paper and the thesis is something I want to explore further in grad school.

However, Harvard doesn't require writing samples for AM Middle Eastern studies applicants. Would it be bad form to include it in my application package anyways? Would it be obnoxious and just get tossed? :/

Since Harvard receives so many applications, I doubt the committee would take extra time to examine your writing sample. If its "optional" however, I think it would be beneficial to include it, but don't expect them to examine it in detail - maybe they'll take a look at the first page and deem it a good or not so good indication of your fit with the program. If its inclusion in your app isn't optional, then just abide by that and don't send it.

If they ask for optional material, then yes, include your writing sample. If not, I wouldn't include it...it comes off pretentious.

I was afraid of that. Thanks everyone!