MPH/Masters in International Health as an additional degree?

urzeichen

I spent four years in college studying social thought, anthropology, and history, and graduated very well. During my gap year afterwards, I applied to one of the best programs that could offer me a research intensive Masters in my thematic interest within an interdisciplinary framework. I was accepted with a full scholarship to this very well respected University and department. I've been planning to apply for a doctorate in the same field from a very long time, and seem to be in a good place to aim for it.

However, in the last 6-8ish months, I've been in a war-torn developing country, working as a researcher in a pilot community health project that I have become extremely devoted to. I have been working with three principal investigators, but more or less leading the research and recommendations for a national community health policy. Since I was most immersed in this project amongst my colleages, I have been offered an opportunity to continue to work remotely on it whilst I'm in the US pursuing my Masters. After what I have learned during this time, I cannot imagine letting go of public health developmental work. So even though my academic passion continues to lie elsewhere that I don't want to leave either, I want to get some kind of a degree in Public Health that would enable me to be more competent in pursuing more such projects parallel to my other academic goals. (an degree in the hiatus between my Masters and PhD)

I am wondering if Public Health Schools would frown upon my application because I haven't pursued Public Health academically before and still have other academic goals. I will probably be published in public health by the time I apply however and would have worked on this project (even if partly remotely) for two years. I believe I will bring a lot of interdisciplinary background to the degree. I really want to only get this education to better be able to contribute to developmental work that I've already become quite invested in. Since I cannot hope to earn at all from them, I can't afford to take on debt for this degree...are there scholarships I can hope for...? And finally, if not a degree, are there other options for me to advance my knowledge and broaden my perspective in administering and writing on community health projects in developing countries.

And finally, I know its difficult to pursue two tracks at the same time, but would universities determine it to be a lack of enthusiasm for either one? (It really isn't...I am quite sold on both...)

Thanks for your advice.