GRE: Retake?

paradigm

Hi everyone,

I need some advice. I took the GRE for the first time in late May and had what I consider a strong outing: 760 Q, 590 V, 5 AWA. But I'm a perfectionist and believed that with a little more work I could raise my verbal score by at least 50 points and get a 6 on the AWA. Should I retake the exam, or is the risk of scoring lower too great to justify retaking it?

For the record, I'm planning on applying to a few MA in Economics programs and a few MPP programs. I also might try to use the GRE in lieu of the GMAT a few years down the road for b-school applications. For some reason, I'd been convinced that if I scored a 6 on the AWA and raised my verbal score ~ 50 points, I'd improve my profile considerably, so that's why I'm agonizing over taking it again or not.

Edited by paradigm

For economics, I think your verbal is fine. But if you're a perfectionist and want to aim for a higher score (maybe an 800Q, even?), far be it from me to dissuade you. (I'm doing the same thing with a 710V 660Q in psychology.) From what I've heard (and what I've asked graduate departments at various schools), most places look at your highest composite, so it certainly couldn't hurt -- but only if you're willing to part with the cash.

My verbal and AWA scores were the same as yours - and your quantitative score also appears to be in the 84th percentile. So, presumably, you're in the 84th percentile across the board - I'd venture to say that's a very good showing for MA or MPP programs. If you were pursuing admission into PhD programs, I'd probably advise you to re-take to get close to 800 Q, as gellert suggested.

Ultimately it's your decision (and time, and money). I don't think you'll be at any disadvantage whatsoever with your current scores. Raising your AWA to a 6 is difficult because the scoring system is stochastic and a little bizarre; it's also the section of the exam that is given the least weight by admissions committees. Additionally, you'd only have three weeks from tomorrow to re-take. That amount of time may not be conducive to raising your scores significantly enough to warrant a re-take. You did quite well the first time around, so my advice would be to relax and worry about the other components of your application.

My verbal and AWA scores were the same as yours - and your quantitative score also appears to be in the 84th percentile. So, presumably, you're in the 84th percentile across the board - I'd venture to say that's a very good showing for MA or MPP programs. If you were pursuing admission into PhD programs, I'd probably advise you to re-take to get close to 800 Q, as gellert suggested.

Ahhh, missed the bit about the OP applying to MA/MPP programs. Clearly my RC is stellar. I take back my previous comment. You're golden. :)

Ahhh, missed the bit about the OP applying to MA/MPP programs. Clearly my RC is stellar.

:lol:

BTW, I just did a quick review of some M.A. Economics programs and here are the corresponding numbers provided by each department:

From Duke: The mean GRE is about 795 quantitative and 525 verbal.

From NYU: GRE Quantitative and Writing scores > 80th percentile (@ 750 for quantitative, @ 5.0 for Writing) GRE Verbal > 50th percentile (@500)

From BU: For those entering the master’s programs, we like to see performance in the upper 75th percentile in the quantitative and analytical portions of the exam.

And keep in mind, those aren't minimums, those are recommendations based on strong applicants and actual admitted students. You've got nothing to worry about.

Hi everyone,

Thanks very much for your insightful responses -- it was helpful to read them. Right now I am leaning towards not retaking the exam, but opting to not take it is difficult because I'd been studying very diligently in the weeks after my first exam and felt as confident as I ever had with respect to the GRE. However, I became very ill in the week leading up to my second retake and had to miss it. I'm still feeling very run down. Now I'm not so sure I can get back in shape for a retake, even though I think that I'd studied enough to increase my score by a fair bit.

I guess my only questions at this point are:

1. If I decided to retake the GRE and somehow earned a mediocre or even dreadful score, would that devalue my first score (760 Q, 590 V, 5 AWA)? One of my friends who took the GRE claims that the "last thing you want is for your score to drop" on a second attempt on the GRE, so I'm wondering if retaking the GRE is risky in that admission committees might devalue your first score if you have a bad second outing.

2. It sounds as though the potential gain on my second GRE just isn't significant enough to make a difference to admission committees, is that right? Suppose I think I can score a 760 Q, 660 V, and 6 AWA (in the neighborhood of what I think I could score on my second attempt) -- would this score increase, in your opinion, make a difference in my applications to MA in Economics and MPP programs? Would it be worth it (in terms of cost, time, and stress) to you?

Thanks very much for your help.