GRE Subject Test

goldenbuff

I'm going to be applying for grad school in biological sciences this coming Fall/Winter for entry in Fall of 2012. The question that I have is (hopefully) a simple one. When a school says that a GRE subject test is "highly recommended" or "strongly recommended" does that mean you're screwed if you don't take it? I would take it, it's not a question of being nervous or being too lazy to study, I just don't really have the money to spend $140 on top of application fees (which are going to be around $700 for 10 schools) and paying to send GRE scores (another $230 at least). Should I email the specific school and ask or does that give the wrong impression? I don't want to waste money on an application fee if I'm going to be disqualified because I didn't take the GRE subject test but at the same time, I don't want to lose out on a top choice school because I didn't take the stupid test. Please help!

Honestly, I want to know the same thing.

Right now my working opinion is that if you majored in your field and have a high major GPA, it probably wouldn't matter for schools that "recommend" the subject test. Clearly you know your subject if you have a high GPA in your major. I think the subject test is possibly more relevant for students with less stellar major GPAs, or who majored in unrelated or only tangentially related fields.

I'd welcome a second opinion from someone more in the know, though.