New programs in Visual Studies, Theory and Practice

Chombo

I'm interested in finding out more about the emerging PhD programs out there that are trying to bridge the gaps between practice and theory in an art-making and art historical contexts.

So far the programs that I've found that seem quite interesting include UC San Diego's PhD program in Art History, Theory and Criticism, and the University of Buffalo PhD Program in Media Study--both of which are geared for practicing artists. Then there is the PhD in Visual Studies at UC Irvine which seems more on the Art History/Theory side of things rather than practice, although several of their current PhD candidates have MFA backgrounds and are practicing artists.

If anyone else out there is interested in similar programs and/or has any information about these or other programs like them I'd greatly appreciate hearing from you. Thanks.

William, what school are you talking about when you say, "The Department of Visual Arts?" A lot of universities have department's of visual arts.

Visual Culture as an academic subject is a field of study that generally includes some combination of culture studies, art history critical theory, philosophy, and antropology, by focusing on aspects of culture that rely on visual images.

The Department of Visual Arts announces a new graduate program for the study of art and media leading to a Ph.D. degree in the History, Theory, and Criticism of Art.

For many years, the Department of Visual Arts has been one of the nation's leading centers of art practice and graduate education in studio, media, and — most recently — digital arts. Enhancing and complementing our highly ranked M.F.A. program, the Ph.D. in Art History, Theory, and Criticism is a realization of the department's foundational premise: that the production of art and critical, theoretical, and historical reflection upon it necessarily participate in a single discursive community.

Offering a distinct alternative to existing Ph.D. programs in art history, the program centers on a unique curriculum that places art objects and practices at the center of inquiry, even as it encourages examination of the larger historical, cultural, social, intellectual, and theoretical frameworks within which the category "art" has been contextualized in the most recent developments in the discipline. The program encompasses the study of both past and present art across a broad range that includes fine arts and media (film, video, photography, new media)

----------

Education Consultants in India

William, what school are you talking about when you say, "The Department of Visual Arts?" A lot of universities have department's of visual arts.

It's a spammer. He used the first sentence from Wikipedia. The rest is from UCSD.

• 4 weeks later...

I had a meeting today with Jonathan Katz of the University of Buffalo PhD program in Visual Studies. He was extremely helpful and informative about his own program and also the field in general. Anybody else out there looking to swap information?

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps Visual and Cultural Studies at the University of Rochester? Theres a PhD and MA en route.

Yes, thanks, I'm onto their program now too. Prof Katz spoke highly of them. Grant Kester, who heads up UCSD's Visual Arts department is one of their graduates.

Not much to add as this is outside both my current and intended future field, but I did go to UC Irvine for undergrad and had film and media studies as one of my majors. It is a great campus and has some very smart people working in visual studies though I think some are less formally distinguished than some competing programs. If anyone winds up there though just make sure you have a car and plenty of cash as Irvine is VERY expensive.

So far it seems like as far as Visual Studies programs on the East Coast go, there are:

Rochester--Visual Studies, Buffalo--Media Studies (tech slant hands-on) and Visual Studies (theory, hands off), VCU--Media, Art, and Text (somewhat hands-on), and MIT--History, Theory, and Criticism of Architecture and Art.

In the middle there is a program at Texas Tech, which isn't so interesting to me.

On the West Coast:

UC San Diego--Art History Theory and Criticism, with an Art Practice concentration option, UC Santa Cruz--Visual Studies, and UC Irvine--Visual Studies.

Although I feel more drawn to this side of things, mainly just because it would be more new to me, I'm a little freaked out by how many professors are leaving the UC school system for higher pay at private institutions.

Does anybody have any specific infos out there that one can't find on these schools' websites? How are these programs are regarded in the field--by Art Historians and/or by Cultural Theorists? Any and all infos will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Edited by Chombo

I thought MIT was more traditional art history/ architecture practicum rather than adhering to "Visual Studies" as a discipline. Correct me if I'm wrong, would love to know!

I'm still looking into MIT and their various programs. They have two PhD programs that could be of interest for people who are interested in where art practice, theory and history come together in an academic setting.

The one that is more practice-based, and with a heavy slant towards new media and tech-art is housed in their Graduate School of Architecture, and is called a Doctorate in Media Arts and Sciences :

http://sap.mit.edu/divisions/media_lab/programs/

MIT also offers, as you noted, a more traditional track of studies leading to a Doctorate in the History, Theory, and Criticism of Architecture and Art

http://architecture.mit.edu/phd-in-htc.html

Are you currently already enrolled in a PhD program? --and if so where, if I might ask?

Thanks

I'm not enrolled in a PhD program - this is my app season.

I am actually a BA graduate from one of the universities you listed above, and one of my mentors (and good friend) is actually the director of the program. I've attended some of the graduate classes and have a few friends (including my old boss, lol) who currently are enrolled in the program. If you want to PM me, I can definitely talk to you about it if you are interested.

Edited by fullofpink

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all,

Great discussion and question. Between the coasts there are more programs related to visual culture than Texas Tech. Southern Methodist University in Dallas launched a new PhD program called RASC/a (Spanish for "scratch" - acronym stands for Rhetoric of Art, Space, and Culture). It focuses on the crossroads between art history and visual culture. The program especially emphasizes spatial and visual culture as well as transnational identity studies. For more, check out: http://www.rasc-a.com/ They offer a very competitive fellowship that will definitely help if you're interested in doing research abroad.

The campus is beautiful, the professors are well regarded (and from a variety of institutions including Yale and Harvard as well as UC Santa Barbara and Buffalo New York). I may be a bit bias, as I'm already enrolled, but I feel that anyone interested in Visual Culture studies would do well here. I also have a background as a practicing artist and art instructor. I think such experience is highly valued in the RASC/a program, which is unique in comparison to more traditional programs. Buena Suerte con su buscada!

Hello all,

Great discussion and question. Between the coasts there are more programs related to visual culture than Texas Tech. Southern Methodist University in Dallas launched a new PhD program called RASC/a (Spanish for "scratch" - acronym stands for Rhetoric of Art, Space, and Culture). It focuses on the crossroads between art history and visual culture. The program especially emphasizes spatial and visual culture as well as transnational identity studies. For more, check out: http://www.rasc-a.com/ They offer a very competitive fellowship that will definitely help if you're interested in doing research abroad.

The campus is beautiful, the professors are well regarded (and from a variety of institutions including Yale and Harvard as well as UC Santa Barbara and Buffalo New York). I may be a bit bias, as I'm already enrolled, but I feel that anyone interested in Visual Culture studies would do well here. I also have a background as a practicing artist and art instructor. I think such experience is highly valued in the RASC/a program, which is unique in comparison to more traditional programs. Buena Suerte con su buscada!

What aggressive advertising. You are seriously the third person I've come across to mention this specific program; all the people so far are also currently enrolled in the program.

In the past SMU's art history program was quite traditional; this is a brand new focus for them. I suspect they had to justify the establishment of the new Ph.D. by creating a niche for it, and this is what was chosen. To my knowledge this new program is still entirely in the art history division. They really don't have a lot of theory-oriented faculty yet from what I can tell.

As an alum from the MA program many years back, I can tell you that the undergrad population at SMU is, well, remarkable. And not necessarily in a good way. Vast majority are white (VERY white), wealthy, privileged, and somewhat entitled. But usually pretty bright and well-prepared. The most dominant Greek system I've ever seen. Students used to expect that missing class for a bridesmaid dress fitting was an excused absence. Also had a student who stole a page from a doctor's prescription pad to fake an excuse (it was his father's buddy as I recall). Could have changed a little over the years, of course, but my contacts in Dallas tell me those traditions are still alive there.

Grad students are a different story, of course.

Campus is modeled after UVA.

In the past SMU's art history program was quite traditional; this is a brand new focus for them. I suspect they had to justify the establishment of the new Ph.D. by creating a niche for it, and this is what was chosen. To my knowledge this new program is still entirely in the art history division. They really don't have a lot of theory-oriented faculty yet from what I can tell.

As an alum from the MA program many years back, I can tell you that the undergrad population at SMU is, well, remarkable. And not necessarily in a good way. Vast majority are white (VERY white), wealthy, privileged, and somewhat entitled. But usually pretty bright and well-prepared. The most dominant Greek system I've ever seen. Students used to expect that missing class for a bridesmaid dress fitting was an excused absence. Also had a student who stole a page from a doctor's prescription pad to fake an excuse (it was his father's buddy as I recall). Could have changed a little over the years, of course, but my contacts in Dallas tell me those traditions are still alive there.

Grad students are a different story, of course.

Campus is modeled after UVA.

LOL. That totally sounds like the MRS undergraduates at UVA.

• 2 months later...

Went up to Buffalo to meet with both the Visual Studies and Media Studies PhD programs and I have to say they really are an incredible group of people. The work and the dedication to its progress is clearly outstanding.

I'm concerned about the post-apocalyptic cultural and economic landscape of Buffalo in conjunction with the weather, but despite all that there is still a strong pull for me up there.

Looking forward to hearing more information from others interested in competing programs. Allbest and good luck.

• 3 months later...