Gap year(s) - how much time off?

I recently finished my undergrad and went the route of taking time off and am working as a lab manager, volunteering, having my dreams crushed by the GREs... Doing all the fun, exciting things that an individual hoping to go to grad school might do.

However, I've recently started worrying: should I apply this winter, for admission in fall 2012? Should take two years off and instead go for fall 2013? It's only been a month or two of working as a lab manager full time and I already miss academics. However, I feel like both my bank account and my application (I'm hoping to apply for M.A. counseling psych programs, if that's helpful) might be stronger if I've been in the job for more than 5-6 months at the time of submission. Is it even kosher to ask for a LOR from my current professor after that amount of time? What do schools look for? How long do people normally stay in lab manager positions?

Any input is appreciated! Thanks so much. =)

Especially if you're helping with any research projects, your current boss should be able to write you a decent letter. They won't need to actually write it out until December at the earliest, so you'll have some more time to impress them, too. Typically people take gap years when they aren't sure what they want to do or when they need to get more research experience to have a shot at good PhD programs. They may be a full-time lab manager or RA for a year or two to get solid experience designing and completing some research.

For an MA in counseling, you probably don't need your application strengthened too much. Do you have decent grades? Can you retake the GRE so that it is up to par for the programs you're looking at? Do you feel comfortable starting and paying for a full-time MA?

Thanks for the input, cogneuroforfun.. I feel like I have a decent resume- research, good GPA, extracurriculars and volunteering (haven't taken the GRE yet but I'm studying a lot). I chose to take time off more because, as of last winter, I was still torn between research (non clinical/mental health related) and counseling. I'm hoping to apply to more competitive programs, though.

I guess it's not so much about whether or not my resume needs it- I feel like I'm cheating the system or something. Does it look flaky to only stay in this position for a year? Most of the lab managers in our department stay for 1.5/2 years, at least. I'm wondering what other people with similar jobs have done.

• 2 weeks later...

Do you guys have any ideas on things to do during a "year on" (not year off, i.e. slacking and living in your parents basement doing nothing)? I want to do something that will help further my chances of getting into a graduate program but also give me the chance to travel (preferably abroad, but also in the U.S.) and experience the "real world." I really want to see what is out there and maybe discover a passion that I did not even knew existed. The last thing I want to do is jump into a PhD program or miss out on travel and experience. You are only young once! Ideas, advice?