Keeping track of promising CFPs

Maybe this is weird; but does anyone have a method for keeping track of CFPs?

I get a ton of emails with promising calls for papers for conferences and publications, but I find that I often forget about them, as they get lost in the email shuffle. I also never know what to do with calls I come across online; create a bookmark folder? I'd rather have a central place to keep track of them all.

So for now I use email folders and bookmark folders, but I'm rather dissatisfied with this approach. Any wise gradecafe-rs have creative, brilliant ways of keeping track of such things that would be less disparate and less likely to collect digital cobwebs?

Maybe this is weird; but does anyone have a method for keeping track of CFPs?

I get a ton of emails with promising calls for papers for conferences and publications, but I find that I often forget about them, as they get lost in the email shuffle. I also never know what to do with calls I come across online; create a bookmark folder? I'd rather have a central place to keep track of them all.

So for now I use email folders and bookmark folders, but I'm rather dissatisfied with this approach. Any wise gradecafe-rs have creative, brilliant ways of keeping track of such things that would be less disparate and less likely to collect digital cobwebs?

My department maintains a public calendar with things like talks, events, conferences, deadlines for abstract submissions, etc. It's updated by several professors and students and I find it very useful for keeping track of what is going on in the general area of my university and in my field. A tech-savvy friend of mine also set up an RSS feed that updates users about upcoming conferences/deadlines. Our field is small enough that there is a website with updates about all of the conferences that could be relevant to linguists in general. Maybe there are resources like that out there in your department/field that you are not aware of?

Even in the absence of shared resources, I find that creating a calendar entry for the deadline that includes a URL of the call for papers is very useful. Also, I sometimes use good old fashioned pen and paper lists. Those have the advantage that you can cross out completed tasks like finished abstracts and papers, which I find very satisfying..

My department maintains a public calendar with things like talks, events, conferences, deadlines for abstract submissions, etc. It's updated by several professors and students and I find it very useful for keeping track of what is going on in the general area of my university and in my field. A tech-savvy friend of mine also set up an RSS feed that updates users about upcoming conferences/deadlines. Our field is small enough that there is a website with updates about all of the conferences that could be relevant to linguists in general. Maybe there are resources like that out there in your department/field that you are not aware of?

Even in the absence of shared resources, I find that creating a calendar entry for the deadline that includes a URL of the call for papers is very useful. Also, I sometimes use good old fashioned pen and paper lists. Those have the advantage that you can cross out completed tasks like finished abstracts and papers, which I find very satisfying..

I think that is genius! I too have lost track of promising CFP dates, and I think creating a calendar with a link to the page for the CFP is genius. I'm assuming that could work with google calendar, right?

I think that is genius! I too have lost track of promising CFP dates, and I think creating a calendar with a link to the page for the CFP is genius. I'm assuming that could work with google calendar, right?

That's what I use. Works great.

My department maintains a public calendar with things like talks, events, conferences, deadlines for abstract submissions, etc. It's updated by several professors and students and I find it very useful for keeping track of what is going on in the general area of my university and in my field. A tech-savvy friend of mine also set up an RSS feed that updates users about upcoming conferences/deadlines. Our field is small enough that there is a website with updates about all of the conferences that could be relevant to linguists in general. Maybe there are resources like that out there in your department/field that you are not aware of? Even in the absence of shared resources, I find that creating a calendar entry for the deadline that includes a URL of the call for papers is very useful. Also, I sometimes use good old fashioned pen and paper lists. Those have the advantage that you can cross out completed tasks like finished abstracts and papers, which I find very satisfying..

Belated thanks for the ideas, fuzzylogician. I'm on a professional listserv in my field that sends out a lot of calls, but I haven't tried looking around to see if we have a similar resource (calendar). Perhaps we do. But even so, it'd be nice to have my own space where I can selectively add calls I see myself actually responding to.

I might give a Google calendar (devoted to CFPs and the like) a try.