Defense Prep

So defense season is in full swing (at least, in my neck of the woods it is). What advice would you give for those prepping for the final defense? Any tips or pointers if you had to do it all again? Advice for those stressing out about what to write for their opening presentation speeches? Let's gather some advice for those in the last stretch!

I'll start:

Go over any previous drafts you've shared with your supervisor/committee. See what kind of questions they're asking you in their comments. Can you explain why or why not you've chosen to address their concerns in your dissertation/thesis? Also, consider what your answer might be for the dreaded "so what?" question. What can your research add to the field, and alternatively, why does your work belong in your discipline and not a relevant cognate?

I'm speaking from a social sciences perspective, but let's open up discussion to all majors. What worked for you in your discipline?

• 1 year later...

Yikes!

I know that this is an old thread but...what is an "opening presentation speech" and does everyone need one?

My defense is really soon and nobody has told me anything about this.

(my defense is of my comps and prospectus)

Edited by Elli389

The format of a defense changes from program to program. In my program, students simply go through as much of their work as they choose to for about an hour or so, followed by questions from the audience, followed by a private Q&A session with the committee. There is no speech or anything preceding the presentation.

Thanks fuzzylogician,

Was this for defense of comps/prospectus?

I have only heard that my committee will be asking me questions, not that I have to talk about my research.

(of course, as you say, this differs from program to program...)