What does it take to get a MPP/IR scholarship?

younglions

Subject says it all.

I understand money for these professional degrees is difficult to come by, but just how difficult?

Since I'm interested in public service, I'll likely never be bring in the big bucks and don't want to accumulate a large debt load. I started researching these types of programs a few years ago, and have tried to set myself up as best as possible to earn a scholarship, but I'm unsure if it's enough. What do committees focus on most when awarding scholarships? Academic achievement, work experience, recommendations, GRE scores, essays? I realize it's a combination, but does any one of these components take priority?

I have nightmares of mid-career professionals coming in and snatching up the limited money that's available. (I'm 24 with two years of overseas development experience and a couple of internships).

If you look outside of the traditional "brand" schools in DC and NYC, you will find that many schools offer scholarships. For example LBJ offers scholarships to Fulbrighters, and Syracuse and Denver offers money to incoming students. Heck even the Bush school provides aid for students and a fair amount at that. And these are strong schools with strong programs (well I don't know too much about the Bush school).

But you may also need to be creative in looking for funding. Think about these:

1. Do you know a foreign language fluently? If so, then consider contacting the foreign language department of a university and offering to teach a course or two in exchange for a stipend or something.

2. Applying for a FLAS if you are considering doing an Area Studies component to your degree.

3. Look for support positions on campus. Many will confer benefits which will include tuition remission, as well as provide you with a salay to live on.

There are many other ways to get money. Hope this helps at least.