MPP/MPA Chances-- International Development

IDevGuy

Hi Everyone!

So my post is a 2-parter. I hope part 1 can be answered by those already admitted to similar programs.

1) These forums can be pretty intimidating at times. People with 3.9s and 1500 GREs worried about being accepted-- I understand that there are plenty of supermen and superwomen out there, but are these worried posters lacking in the work experience department? Is all of this really warranted if you have strong recs, personal statement, and work experience?

2) Now here are my stats:

GRE: 720Q, 550V, 5.5W. Honors B.A. in International Relations-- ~3.4 overall, 3.8 in the major (3.9 in final 2 years) top 20 school.

WE: 2 years project management experience in energy and development.

Should I be worried about SIPA, GSPP, Wagner? I understand that SAIS, KSG and WWS are reach schools.

Please be nice.

Cheers.

I haven't already been admitted to any programs. In fact, I haven't finished all my applications yet (hopefully within the next couple days). I'll give you my take anyways.

Honestly, I think you are right around the median for a lot of your schools. It looks like you're only applying to top 10 programs, so anywhere is going to be tough. Expect a rejection or two, but mostly admits.

I'm applying to a lot of the same schools and fit into the group of people with 3.9s and 1500 GREs. By the numbers, I'm probably golden, but I'm still not overly confident I'll get in at my top choices. You can see on WWS's website that a lot of its students have pretty stellar work experience considering most presumably only have a bachelors degree. In that regard, I'm rather average. (Peace Corps plus a couple of internships.) My main question is how do these people get these great gigs directly out of undergrad? Seems like most everything I see requires a masters.

But, no, don't worry too much. You'll definitely get in somewhere, and most likely at multiple schools. I'm worried, but it's 25% about getting in, and 75% of being one of the lucky few who receive a funding offer.

Hi Everyone!

So my post is a 2-parter. I hope part 1 can be answered by those already admitted to similar programs.

1) These forums can be pretty intimidating at times. People with 3.9s and 1500 GREs worried about being accepted-- I understand that there are plenty of supermen and superwomen out there, but are these worried posters lacking in the work experience department? Is all of this really warranted if you have strong recs, personal statement, and work experience?

2) Now here are my stats:

GRE: 720Q, 550V, 5.5W. Honors B.A. in International Relations-- ~3.4 overall, 3.8 in the major (3.9 in final 2 years) top 20 school.

WE: 2 years project management experience in energy and development.

Should I be worried about SIPA, GSPP, Wagner? I understand that SAIS, KSG and WWS are reach schools.

Please be nice.

Cheers.

IDevGuy

Hello. I have already been admitted into a public policy program (a respected one, but not on your list) for next fall. Our profiles are more or less the same. Thus if I was admitted, it seems your profile is also competitive.

I guess the real answer is, it's impossible to tell what your chances are at any of these schools. You probably have a chance, but who knows. The only way to find out is to apply. The worst that could happen is that you don't get accepted. (And, if that happens, you would at least be able to speak to the admissions staff and find out how to fine tune your application.)

You can also search this forum and the Results area for the stats of applicants who were admitted to these programs in previous years. That might give you an idea of the numbers of some of the applicants who were successful. Your profile seems to indicate that it is reasonable to assume that you should be able to gain admission to some/most/a few/? of these schools. But, you won't know the outcome until you try. Good luck!

Linden