Masters the new Bachelors

long_time_lurker

Really glad somebody posted this; read it a few days ago, and it keeps coming up in conversation. That line about needing a PhD to be a janitor in 20 years, while on some level clearly facetious, particularly resonated with me after recent experiences (mine and those of friends) on the job market. Academic credentials inflation is going to shape the course of higher education in the next few years in interesting ways, and obviously in ways that are highly field-dependent. I have very capable friends without jobs at the moment who are toying with the idea of going back to school for a Masters (primarily MAs, MPPs, and MFAs), but they are having to ask themselves some tough questions like: "Do I really want to go five or six figures in debt for a slightly better chance at a 30k entry level job?" It's pretty crazy that certain jobs that could be filled 20 years ago by a reasonably dedicated high school graduate are now given to candidates with at least one advanced degree.