University of Southern California (USC)

Guest lovesick

Guest lovesick

go trojans! is anyone else considering attending in the fall?

i've been invited to an all-day welcome reception thingy for scholarship recipients in april. the logistics are tricky, but i'm trying to work it out. really it's just an excuse to visit l.a. again and see some friends out there. :-)

Hey lovesick,

I'm entertaining the idea of attending USC next fall, though I'll likely end up elsewhere. May I ask, is your scholarship reception for SPPD? If so, what degree are you seeking (and did USC really hook you up with $?) What other schools, programs are you applying to? Either way, if you end up choosing 'SC, you can't go wrong at all - sunny California, the beach, top-notch academics...sounds like a winner.

May I ask, is your scholarship reception for SPPD? If so, what degree are you seeking (and did USC really hook you up with $?)

yep, it is the SPPD reception. i'm going for the master of planning program -- they gave me $12,000 for the first year, renewable for the second if i go full-time and hold down a 3.0. actually, one of the reasons i applied was that i heard there was lots of money around for the asking.

What other schools, programs are you applying to?

i applied to uw-milwaukee, ohio state, university of michigan, cal poly - san luis obispo, rutgers, and nyu. still waiting to hear from the last three.

Guest (lovesick?), rock on for SPPD! I'd be pursuing an MPA, and it sounds like I got the same offer - 12K tuition/yr + 5K stipend. However, Univ. of Georgia has offered me full tuition + 16K stipend and GW implies they'll offer similarly, so I don't think I'll end up at 'SC. I do, however, want to check it out - did you see how they're willing to subsidize up to $200 of travel expenses? That convinced me to at least trip out there and see how it feels. I definitely heard the same thing as you - USC is awfully generous with funding. Did you get into UW-Mil, UMich, and Ohio State? If so, how do they compare for you w/ USC? Best of luck with the remaining schools!

• 5 weeks later...
Guest mrdanw11

I'm officially going to USC next fall in the in the Politics and International Relations PhD program. I'm from the Chicago area, so moving out there is going to be quite a change (in some ways good and in some ways bad). They were very generous--full tuition waiver, 18k stipend, health insurance. I'm a little nervous since I have been going to school at a "suitcase school" for the last three years and haven't really had to socialize myself. I know absolutely nobody in LA. Oh well, at least there is essentially no winter there. See you there!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Kirkingburg

I applied late into the application process and USC and NYU were a few of the two schools that had late deadlines. I've been accepted to both: USC for the MPA program and NYU for the MPA in Public & Nonprofit Management & Policy. However, I'm having a tough time deciding between the two schools. Maybe one of you out there can help me decide. The school's rankings in MPA is not all that different (according to U.S. News) and money is not a factor. I'm actually from Los Angeles, so there is a sort of tension between staying in LA versus moving out to New York City and experincing something new. Another factor that I've been thinking about, but not sure if it really matters, is the number of connections each school beyond its geographic boundaries. For example, how strong is NYU Wagner's presence in the west coast and USC SPPD's presence on the east coast. I haven't been able to answer this question, but is MPA a type of program that wherever you want to have a career, you have to attend a school that's in the city (or region) you prefer? Any advice would be helpful!

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use