Do all schools allow letters after the 15th?

husky07

One of my recommenders hasn't submitted his letter to any of the schools I am applying to yet, I know that some of the schools explicitly state that they accept letters till the 20th, what about the ones that don't say anything?

From my understanding (and contact with graduate admissions committees), schools are usually lenient with letters of recommendation because they, as faculty, also understand that professors are busy people. As long as your letters get there in a reasonable time, you should be fine. Heck, only 1 of my professors has submitted all of my recommendations on time.

• 5 weeks later...

I know for a fact that at least one school is strict about it. I had a problem with a recommender, and I called First Choice's admissions department to find out how to proceed. I was told that it is "crucial" to have my recs in before the committee begins to review. I had to scramble to get it there electronically.

Every other school on my list told me some variation of "do get it in soon, but there's no hard deadline".

I know for a fact that at least one school is strict about it. I had a problem with a recommender, and I called First Choice's admissions department to find out how to proceed. I was told that it is "crucial" to have my recs in before the committee begins to review. I had to scramble to get it there electronically.

Every other school on my list told me some variation of "do get it in soon, but there's no hard deadline".

It is crucial to have letters in before review. However, that doesn't mean the committees begin review on the day of the deadline...a day or two likely won't hurt.

This might seem sneaky, but what I resort to is writing to the desired grad admissions office to ask them about the letter / application status, then when they respond about the missing letter, just sort of forward it on to the recommendation provider with a nice message... always ending with a "If you need anything from me please let me know!" And a sounding thank you.

Don't want to seem pushy, but something has to be done!

It is crucial to have letters in before review. However, that doesn't mean the committees begin review on the day of the deadline...a day or two likely won't hurt.

You're right. That's basically what I was told--that the review would begin the day after the deadline, so I'd better get them in.