Undergrad Exploring Social Work

TheCrow

I'm an incoming freshman (though I completed two years of college while in high school). I'm intrigued by the field of social work... I know it's early, but how can I begin to seriously explore the field? Research in macro/mezzo topics is my primary interest, but I could see doing some clinical work on a part-time/ad-hoc basis.

I'm especially interested in the idea of an MSW/PhD program... can I get in by being a good student and getting involved in research, or are these programs reserved for prodigies? What GPA/GRE combinations are usual? I've only been able to find a few schools that offer such a program: the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor; the University of Chicago (AM/PhD; only 1 or 2 a year); the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill; the University of Pennsylvania; and Boston College. I imagine, therefore, that all of these programs are extremely competitive.

Where I am so far:

Intended Plan: BA, Educational Studies & Sociology; MA, Sociology (Combined, four-year program)

SAT: 1440/1600 (Rough Indicator of GRE?)

Research Experience: Institutional-Research Assistant (2011-2012), Summer Archival Research at local University

Social/Human Services Experience: AmeriCorps: 300 Hours of Service with At-Risk Teens; Teen-Court Attorney, First-Time Offender Deferral Program (3.5 Years); Vice-President, Mayor's Youth Council; Master of Ceremonies, City/County Human Affairs Awards Banquet; Completed NAMI 12-week Family-to-Family Course

Education Experience: Two Statewide Appointments, Education Policy; Represented State in Two International Education Projects; College Tutor; Co-Coordinated Summer Tutor Training at local College; Invited Speaker/Presenter at various Statewide Events.

Next Steps: Education Policies Internship, Southern Regional Education Board (Hoping to secure in Junior Year); Summer Research at UNC-CH School of Social Work (NC is my state of residence)--is it appropriate for me try after my freshman year?

I'm sure you already know that your stats so far are great, and I think that getting an MA from your undergrad institution would significantly increase your chances for combined MSW/Ph.D. programs. They're as competitive as Ph.D. programs in other competitive fields, which is to say that there are an endless number of factors involved any given year related to class size, which faculty are taking students, funding, etc. The bright side is that a few of the programs you mentioned fund Masters students well and, assuming that you graduate with a strong GPA, may partially or fully fund your MSW even if you aren't admitted to a combined program.

Since you're looking at mezzo/macro social work, the most important thing you can be doing is getting involved with research. I do think it would be a great idea to try to get involved with social work research after your freshman year. I think it's also important in terms of broadening your understanding of the field and helping you clarify your research interests, particularly since "fit" is such a big part of Ph.D. admissions. You may find that, for example, your specific research interests would be better served by pursuing a Ph.D. in education or sociology. If you do stay on target for social work, I might try to stay involved with the volunteer human services experience as well -- I suspect that schools appreciate even their social policy/admin students having direct practice experience.

On a personal note, I applaud you for thinking ahead but would caution you not to burn yourself out by taking on too much at a time. You've accomplished a lot for having barely begun your college career, and have a long way to go before the grad school application process. You're doing all the right things so far! Enjoy college and be open to the idea that your path might change along the way.

I know there isn't much funding for non-terminal, non-professional master's programs (e.g., MA in History)... is there more funding available for the MSW degree? "Fit" is what's driving me crazy--I realize there's a lot of uncertainty that I'm going to have to accept in my first few years, but I'm having a hard time identifying all of the essential qualities that differentiate fields from each other. I guess I would say that, at the moment, I'm most interested in research/policy work/direct practice related to the role of tertiary education as a vehicle for social mobility and equality.... which seems to decidedly fall in the social welfare/social work area more so than education or sociology in and of themselves. However, I'm certainly not committed to any particular field at this point.

There were times that I came close to burning out in high school, but what I realized is that it's much better to pick a few extracurricular endeavors to fully devout myself to; I need to make time for myself; and that I'm by no means required to take the most rigorous course-load in the history of mankind.