MFA Directing Essay question

tgibfo

Hey hey! So, I'm applying to BU for my MFA and one of the essays requires you to "choose a play you've directed and write a passionate essay including analysis of the script, conceptual and design ideas and explanation of the applicant's personal connection to the work." Seems straightforward.

But here's my issue: I've been teaching acting for about five years and been directing scene work the whole time. I directed a short for a friend's show, I've AD'd some shows back in the late '90s, but the only show I've obsessed over and actually brought to fruition on my own is a thriller that I wrote, produced and directed earlier this year. It's the only fully-realized piece I've done.

I feel a bit strange writing a passionate essay dealing with script analysis and conceptual design of a piece that I essentially invented from the ground up. I suppose, as the material is based on the work of Poe, I could certainly go that route.

Heaven knows I could go on and on about the three plays I have WANTED to direct and have been PLANNING with no success for several years, but that's not the job here.

So my question is: would writing my essay on this production be strange or perfectly reasonable? I'm afraid of coming off as a bit obnoxious if I'm writing about and analyzing my own work.

• 2 months later...

Tgibfo,

I wouldn't write the essay on a play you wrote. If you haven't directed anything besides your own work then you might be better off mentioning that in your application and choosing a well-known play that you like or feel passionate about. They want to know how well you can analyze a play's script and express your ideas on what the author's meaning/interpretation of the work.

If you write the essay on a piece which they do not know/or have no access to, how will they measure your interpretive and analitical skills?

hope this might help

Edited by themirandatragedy