Please I need advice!

AdviceHungery

I could really use some advice right about now. I took the GRE about two weeks ago and I just got my scores back tonight. My scores break down as such: Verbal: 710 (98%) Quantitative: 700 (70%) and Writing: 3.5 (26%). I realize the writing score is pretty crap.

During college I had an undiagnosed illness and my GPA suffered during my sophomore and junior years. I eventually got the treatment I needed but my cumulative gpa ended up at a 2.9. (my major related gpa is a 3.3-4)

My major is East asian culture and literature.

The advice I need is this. Does anyone think it is at all possible that I could even get into any sort of graduate program. I am aware of the things that might be done to correct my GPA and GRE scores. Taking more classes to raise my GPA, retaking the GRE etc. But I need to know if I should at least make the attempt to apply this year. (I do have some letters of recommendation already lined up.)

Please, any and all advice would be really appreciated.

Edited by AdviceHungery

Have you researched any schools yet by looking at their websites? Do you have any schools in mind? Are they very competitive or not as selective? Generally speaking, the GPA cutoff is 3.0, there have been forum members who have posted successful admission with a slightly lower GPA, so being that 2.9 right there I wouldn't say that all hope is lost, and of course it's a positive that your major GPA is above 3.0. Your verbal and quant scores are very competitive, these might help to offset the lower GPA. I'm not sure how much the writing section will matter for your program, I've seen different opinions like "since you're in literature the AW score should be high" as well as "it's the least important part of the test." I mean if you're required to submit a writing sample the admissions committees will certainly get a much better sense of your abilities that way. And the fact that you already have LORs lined up is definitely a good thing.

You might be able to use your illness to explain your GPA in your statement of purpose, not to dwell on it, but just a quick reference such as, "despite an undiagnosed illness I managed to...." That will show the committees that you experienced a hardship but overcame it. Writing a solid SOP is definitely something you can do to set yourself apart and convince the schools you deserve a spot by effectively articulating your academic/professional goals as well as why you are a good fit for the program. Do you have any relevant work/volunteer/research experience? That would be beneficial also. I would say to give applying this year a very cautious attempt, try not to get too emotionally involved and should you not get in use this cycle as a learning experience, get some feed back from the admissions offices so you know exactly what to do to improve your application for next time. But you really don't have anything to loose by trying, except the app fee...but give it a go.