GRE: Do you receive your scores at the end?

Rachel B

Hi all,

I'm taking the GRE next week and was curious if you receive your V&Q scores at the end like on the previous version of the GRE? I know the revised test is on a brand new scale, so I was curious if someone who has already taken the revised GRE could answer the question.

Thank you!

You get a tentative score range. Since they haven't figured out the percentiles yet they give them in the old format. I took the GRE on the 1st and it wasn't too bad. Good luck.

Hi Rachel--

I took the revised GRE last monday (August the 1st). At the end, there was a message displayed on the screen that was exactly the same as the one you get at the end of the POWERPREP II practice test (in fact, my scores were the same). It was something like:

" Your test score according to the new scoring scale is not available, but your performance according to the old GRE scoring scale is:

QR: XXX-XXX

VR: XXX-XXX "

So, you don't get your exact scores, but only a range for them.

I hope that helps.

I'm curious how big the range has been for people. I've seen some as big as 100 points, which is a huge difference in the old version.

The range for my quantitative section was 100 pts where my verbal range was 40 pts. So maybe not the best guide for scores but I guess it will hold me over until I get the actual scores.

Just to clarify:

So, we have to wait until November to get the actual scores?

What about the writing score? Will that come in November too?

I am writing the GRE in September for the first time. My application deadlines are in December. I was hoping to have enough time to re-write it, in case I do really poorly the first time. But, I guess, I won't even know how I did until it will be too late.

Just to clarify:

So, we have to wait until November to get the actual scores?

What about the writing score? Will that come in November too?

I am writing the GRE in September for the first time. My application deadlines are in December. I was hoping to have enough time to re-write it, in case I do really poorly the first time. But, I guess, I won't even know how I did until it will be too late.

Yes, we have to wait until November for the actual scores. This does kind of sucks for people applying to anywhere with a deadline in December, which is probably everyone. Unfortunately, from what I was told by ETS is that we won't be given AW section scores until then as well. I guess they are taking their time even if there weren't too many changes in this section of the test.

Yes, we have to wait until November for the actual scores. This does kind of sucks for people applying to anywhere with a deadline in December, which is probably everyone. Unfortunately, from what I was told by ETS is that we won't be given AW section scores until then as well. I guess they are taking their time even if there weren't too many changes in this section of the test.

Thanks for the clarification. Yeah, that is too bad. I wish they would tell you the writing score earlier.