Send Transcripts First, Apply Later?

edost

Here's a problem I have because of certain universities requiring that transcripts be sent to them directly from my former university's registrar:

If I have my transcripts sent before I fill out the online application form (and even before some programs' applications are available), will my trascripts be saved by the admissions office, or will they discard them because they won't have my name on file, and I'd have to send the transcripts again?

I'm asking because I need some transcripts right now. Because of the way the university charges for transcripts, I'd save approximately the equivalent of $100 if I order all copies at once.

Once they receive your transcripts, they will enter your name on the file. So when you submit the application form, they will match it with your name. Same thing if you send LoR first, or resume first and so on. You can also contact the grad sec to let them know that you have sent your transcripts, and that you will be applying soon, and they will take care of the rest.

It shouldn't be an issue, but if you're worried then I agree that you should contact the grad secretary. It's been my experience that they're incredibly helpful and friendly if you give them a polite phone call or email, especially since you'd be doing it before the busy period (near deadline).

Ask. Some of the programs I applied to required that you at least have started the application online before you sent anything... It never hurt to e-mail the grad secretary and check.