Anyone willing to look at my list?

glasscandie

I'm trying to put together a finalized list of schools to apply to, and I was hoping someone could take a look at the schools and give me an opinion on whether I've applied to a broad enough range. I always hear stories about people who only apply to top-tier schools and then don't get in, and I don't want to be one of those people! I know this is a long post, so I truly appreciate anyone willing to give insight. I honestly think my list of schools is too long, but I don't know where to cut it down. If I felt I didn't have a chance at one of the programs, I wouldn't apply - which is why I'm asking for some help! I'm debating about applying to two masters programs in clinical psych (thesis track) as a backup plan - I do have experience in the field, and my junior thesis was involving schizophrenia. I don't know how that would look (doing clinical) b/c it would be my intention to apply to Ph.D programs when I graduated. My other option if I don't get in is to work in the field - I know I could secure a job at JHU doing what I'm doing now. I say clinical psych. for masters b/c I'm going to stay in Maryland if I don't get into a PhD program, and that's all that's offered around here, outside of the schools I'm applying for my PhD in.

I'm applying to animal behavior programs. I'm interested in neuro/cognitive ethology and pharmacology (animal models).

My stats for comparison:

Haven't taken GRE, but expect to do average to above average (doesn't everyone? lol)

Overall GPA 3.72, major/minor GPA 3.9

2 research assistant positions at Johns Hopkins, one with baboon models of drug abuse and one which will start in January examining cognition in rats

1 research assistant/clinical internship at a local psychiatric rehab. facility - did research for them and got clinical experience

1 publication in an undergraduate journal, expected publications from my JHU internships

editor of my school's psychology newsletter, also initiated the production of the newsletter making it the first one in 10 years at my school

senior year thesis to happen in 2009, and working on my junior year thesis

teaching experience

Schools:

1. University of Wisconsin-Madison - Primatology (have been conversing with a potential mentor)

2. University of Maryland-College Park, NACS Program (have been invited to do a summer internship at the NACS program)

3. Colorado State University-Fort Collins, Zoology Program

4. Washington University in St. Louis, Biology

5. CUNY-Queens College, NYCEP Program Primatology

6. Columbia, NYCEP Program Primatology

7. American University

thats a lot of schools. but if you honestly decided to spend the money on applying to all of them, look at it this way:

lets say you had a 5% chance at getting in to any one of those programs individually (5% chance at getting in to school 1, 5% chance at getting in to school 2, etc), then the chance at getting rejected by every single one of them would be about 42%.

lets be more optimistic and say you had a 10% chance at getting in to any one of those programs individually, then the chance at getting rejected by every single one of them would be about 17%.

lets be even more optimistic and say you had a 20% chance at getting in to any one of those programs individually, then the chance at getting rejected by every single one of them would be only about 3%!

now obviously, different schools would have different likelihoods of accepting you, but this is just an exercise in averages

lets say at 6 schools you have a 5% chance, 6 give you a 10% chance, and 5 give you a 20% chance. then the likelihood of being rejected by all 17 would be about 13%

what does all of this mean?

i'm a nerd.

The sheer amount of time, money and effort you will spend applying to 17 universities will not be worth it even if you got a place somewhere. Not to mention that your referees will HATE you for making them submit 17 references (a lot of those will not simply ask for a letter but will make your referees fill in a form with ridiculous questions). You should really consider these factors. If you have nothing better to do with your time, have lots of money, and have referees who love you to death, then go ahead. If you don't, then I suggest you narrow your list down to 8, 10 maximum.

Your profile is quite impressive, supplemented with a good GRE I'd say you'd have a decent chance in getting into most schools. I'd recommend you pick 3 or 4 top tier schools, 2 or 3 high tier schools and 1 or 2 mid tier schools that you would genuinely like to go to as security options. Maybe also 1 lower tier one if you're really that paranoid. 17 is overkill.

Thanks for taking the time to look this over, I know it was a long post.

I was thinking yesterday after I posted it, too, that it's a lot of references to ask for. I'm having trouble cutting down the list, because all the schools have such great programs. New York and Georgia are the two cities I'd consider cutting, because (1) I don't want to go to Georgia, really, but Emory has a great program; and (2) NYC is really expensive to live in, and I will be supporting a daughter by myself (well, ex will be giving me money and all that, but it's still tough). I lived in NJ for most of my life, and I know how high the COL is around there. BUT, NYC has a great evolutionary primatology program. In fact, the only two schools that have primatology programs (which is my main interest, moreso that rats) is NYC and Wisconsin.

I know for sure I don't want to cut Maryland or Boston. I don't know if I should cut Hopkins or not - it's hard to get into, but I've been researching at the lab there, so that might be a favorable component to my application.

I'm not really familiar with the programs you are applying to, but want to reiterate that 17 schools is a LOT of applications. I would really pare it down.

As an aside, I noticed one of the schools you are considering applying to is UW Madison, where I am currently attending. Just want to put in a good word for Madison, where the cost of living is very affordable (it's pretty doable to get by on the graduate stipend), and you can easily get a place in a good school district for your kid. New York, on the other hand, will be next to impossible, especially with a kid (I attended NYU for college).

So I went back to all the program's Web sites, and cut it down to 12, possibly 13 lol I know I'm going to have to knock at least 2 off of there, and hopefully 3. I think my plan of action now is to start conversing with potential mentors, and see where it goes from there. Maybe people aren't taking applications for 2010, and that would cross it off the list, KWIM? I took Johns Hopkins off, b/c I'm not really sure I'd be able to get in there, and I'm already applying to some competitive programs (UMD, NC, Georgetown, WUSTL, BU and Emory). If a spot on my list falls through b/c of not matching interests or a faculty member not taking applicants, I might put it back on.

StudentfromLA - I'm really excited about Wisconsin-Madison. I've been talking via e-mail with a researcher there, who's doing exactly what I want to do and who seems interested in my experience. That's absolutely at the top of my list, with the U of MD NACS program being second.

These aren't listed in any particular order, except for W-M.

1. University of Wisconsin-Madison - Primatology

2. University of Maryland-College Park, NACS Program

3. American University

• 2 years later...

LOL frankdux. You geek :)

Seriously, your referees will hate you. 3 of mine gave up after 6 LORs. I had 6 referees for a total of 3x8 = 24 LORS -> 4 LORS per referee on average.

I also wanted to say, baboons and drug abuse. Good stuff. I have a problem, I self-medicate with alcohol and drugs because I have a panic disorder (that's an excuse, I really do it because I know no other way). Weirdest thing I've seen was giant turtles crawling on my ceiling. But seeing baboons would be really weird.

And I just noticed this is from 2008... Whoaaaaa...