2012 Applicants

scito

Agreed - I am operating on the humble assumption that, because others know they were offered admission to the M.A. rather than PhD, and because I have no such clarification (coupled with the fact that I applied to the PhD program, not the M.A.) that hopefully the e-mail means I was accepted into the program to which I applied! Time will tell.

Well it's muted elation for me. After sending out a few emails I've found out that I have been admitted to the MA program. I found out from the graduate secretary, you can find her contact information here if you wish to ask for clarification: http://www.colorado.edu/philosophy/people_staff.shtml

Well it's muted elation for me. After sending out a few emails I've found out that I have been admitted to the MA program. I found out from the graduate secretary, you can find her contact information here if you wish to ask for clarification: http://www.colorado....ple_staff.shtml

I think this is still good news, goodmayhem, despite the fact that Boulder does not fund the 1st year for MA students. Boulder is a great school, and is not so high in the rankings that the MA students will be ignored in favor of the PhD students. Congratulations! Where else are you still waiting to hear from?

Thanks for the link. I suspect that I, too, was accepted into the MA program, but I have e-mailed the graduate secretary as well for clarification. I find it odd that they do not provide any more details in the e-mail or the site, but then again Boulder likely receives more applicants than other equally ranked programs due to the area, climate, etc.

On a related note, I am becoming a little disheartened that a number of the programs I applied to have posted acceptances and waitlists on the results search, and I have yet to hear anything for better or worse. It could just as well be a good sign as a bad sign, and I am driving myself insane trying not to worry about it until I hear concretely. Even still, there are always those horror-story posts/result postings that come days after the April 15th deadline from students who were just never contacted.

Unbearable, I also applied to Brown, UMass Amherst, UMaryland, and I haven't heard anything from them. It's especially disheartening to see UMass applicants posting all of those acceptances. I did get rejected from Berkeley and Wait-listed at Yale, so at least I have heard *something.*

Thus far I've been accepted by Mizzou (they let me know really early which I really appreciated), so my getting into Boulder's M.A. isn't exactly trading up. I'm still waiting on BGSU and the University of Chicago. I've been rejected by Arizona and Northwestern (not really a surprise). Just glad to have one in the back pocket already.

Just heard back from University of Chicago's philosophy department. They've turned me down for admittance to the PhD program, but offered me half tuition and entrance to the MAPH. I should also mention that it looks like literally everyone who was rejected from UChicago was invited to join the MAPH program. Nice of them to offer me half tuition but I'm really not sure about this program. Does anyone know anything about it?

Still waiting on Emory and Fordham.

Edited by LeFresne

Nice of them to offer me half tuition but I'm really not sure about this program.

You got offered half tuition? I didn't see that on mine. Congrats!

But, yeah, no, I don't know anything about this program either.

You got offered half tuition? I didn't see that on mine. Congrats!

But, yeah, no, I don't know anything about this program either.

Their financial aid letters are attached to the bottom of the rejection/acceptance letter as a separate letter they link to, so if you haven't checked that out yet you should. You may have gotten it too. I don't know by what criteria they select people for tuition though, and I was fairly surprised to see that I had received the scholarship at all, since so many people are reporting that they're unfunded entirely.

However, after I've searched this forum for feedback about UChicago's MAPH I'm even LESS sure than I was before. It gets a lot of mixed reviews--some people think it's an academic cash cow while others claim to have used it as an intense grooming process for another round of PhD applications with varying degrees of success.

I forgot to mention that I'm still waiting to hear back from Columbia's Medieval Studies MA department as well, but even if I get rejected from all three schools, I'm not entirely sure if I'll attend the MAPH. At least not before I speak to faculty in the department and email one or two philosophy profs involved to see what it's about.

It seems that DePaul contacted with its finalists and sent out rejections. But I haven't heard anything yet. Is there a chance that I might be on a some sort of wait-list?

I'm also wondering about DePaul. I haven't received anything. From what I understand, only the very top of their list has been contacted and no official offers have been made. Anyone know anything different?

They had about 10 prospective students visit for interviews and such this past weekend, and are looking to fill 6 spots. However, the students that were invited to campus are not the only ones on their short list. I believe offers will go out by the end of this week. And, of course, they might dip into the wait list / short list if anyone declines.

They had about 10 prospective students visit for interviews and such this past weekend, and are looking to fill 6 spots. However, the students that were invited to campus are not the only ones on their short list. I believe offers will go out by the end of this week. And, of course, they might dip into the wait list / short list if anyone declines.

Thanks for the update!

Thanks for the info,

Is anyone still waiting on Emory? I've been checking the results survey and nothing has come up, with the exception of one rejection and two suspect looking acceptances from mid-February.

Is anyone still waiting on Emory? I've been checking the results survey and nothing has come up, with the exception of one rejection and two suspect looking acceptances from mid-February.

same here, still waiting on Emory. Plus, I'm also waiting on Penn State, there are two rejections via e-mail, but nothing else. Can anyone give some info?

When should I be hearing back from the master's programs, my last deadline was Feb 15th.

I applied to: WI-Milwaukee, Texas Tech, NIU, Univ. of Montana, Houston, A&M, Brandeis, Colorado State, Western Michigan.

If I haven't heard back does this mean I've been rejected?

Thx. :]

Hi Carrs4. I think you're probably fine. Several of us in this thread are still awaiting feedback from programs we applied to in early January. At this point, February 15th is the recent past by most admissions standards. Don't freak out yet.

I don't know much about the MA programs that you've listed, but I imagine they have some kind of ballpark estimate as to when you can expect to hear back. Additionally it may help to search the results survey on this site for some notion of when you might hear from your these programs. Although, this is not always helpful--circumstances change from year to year so it may take longer to hear back from some schools this year than it did last year. Hope that helps.