Third LoR

Hey all,

I have a quick question. I have solid recommendations for two of the three LoRs that I need: the first from a professor who taught me a course that I was top of the class in and another from my long term research advisor/director of a very prolific laboratory. Since my institution is small, I'm really limited in the number of faculty in my area that I've worked with. The professor who taught me a course was very impressed and has followed my work and my applications to grad programs, serving as a mentor and unofficial research advisor. Both of these letters are from professors who are very well respected and published in their fields. My problem is with the third letter; I could go to my academic advisor, but we're not that close and he doesn't really have a strong interest in my future. I have a handful of coordinators from volunteer organizations that I could ask, but they're hardly academic or research sources. I could ask a post-doc at my lab that I'm familiar with, as I've helped out with several of his courses over the past two years, however I'm not sure that he would be able to write a very in depth recommendation about research work, although we have been part of several projects together.

If anyone could help me piece apart the benefits of picking one of these sources, I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks.

Your options are really between your academic advisor and the post doc, since they're the only 2 of the options you have that may be able to speak to your research potential. You would want to choose the one that would be able to better write about your research ability and potential. Has you academic advisor been following any research projects you did? Even if he doesn't have a strong interest in your future, if he could give a good letter about your research experience then that is sufficient. You say that the post doc might not be able to write an in depth letter about your research work - if he is not able to then you might want to go with the academic advisor instead. Perhaps what you could do is to approach the academic advisor first and ask if he could write you a good letter for your grad school applications. If he says that he is not able to write a strong or good letter (for whatever reason) then you could consider the post doc.

Ideally you want to get 3 strong letters that speak to your research potential, but if you're only able to get 2 strong ones, then having a third letter that isn't as strong, while it won't be helpful, won't be disqualifying either. Hopefully, between the advisor and the post doc, you'll be able to get that third strong letter. Good luck!

Edited by newms