Another person worried about GRE

robertwbrowning

Hello all. I have been lurking here for awhile, but now I feel the need to post something. I have read many nightmarish stories about low or somewhat low GRE scores. And, not surprising I am one of them.

I took the revised test last weekend and my scores were reported as just a range of equivalents using the old scoring system: 510-610 V 510-610 Q So, I feel I either did bad or maybe ok, depending on what the new scores will come out in the end, which will be November. In my opinion, I feel this transition to the new system is a little unfair.

I am applying to study Chinese history or China related studies at these schools:

University of California-Irvine

University of Michigan – Chinese Studies programs

UCLA

University of Toronto

University of Arizona

University of Hawaii

I received a 3.84 GPA - Magna Cum Laude (maybe a bit lower GPA in my major, but not by much) during my undergrad. I was awarded a reserach grant from university and presented at an Undegraduate Research Conference there. In addition, I have lived, studied and worked in China for more than 2.5 years. Lastly, I have three recommenders who I know who can speak well to my abilities as a student and researcher.

Not surprisingly, my question is this: Should I take the GRE again? Should I wait one more year to apply? Or, should I take a chance and apply anyway? One of my profs says I should apply while a friend of mine says I should take the test again. As for myself, I don't really want to think about the test again, at least not now.

You should really wait until your official report comes in because if you achieved what would have been a 610 in both sections, then that's really a fine score. I can't imagine the quant section mattering all that much in your field so even 510 isn't terrible. More importantly, your GPA is great and you have plenty of experience in China. Those 2 things along with a solid SOP and LORs will be the most important aspects of the application. Do you those GRE scores stack up at all against the averages posted on the schools' websites? If they do, then I'd forget about the GRE and move on, even if they're lower but not far off I'd forget it. It also depends on whether or not you feel like you can manage to improve enough to make a significant difference. Going from a 510 to a 520 probably won't be worth the time, money, and effort...