New GRE and the waiting game

Seanish

Well I took the revised GRE today (my first time with any GRE). 710-800 for Verbal 680-800 for Quant. Writing went well I think. Is this meaningful at all? I'm planning on applying to a few history PhD programs around New England and the mid-Atlantic to begin fall 2012. Any way of knowing if the revised scores will be competitive? Should I plan on a retake before November? I'll take any advice.

Edited by Seanish

Even on the low end that is almost 1400, I imagine even with the new scoring this will be as good as a 1400 prior to the changes. Your verbal score estimate is excellent whereas the score on your quant. can range from good to excellent.The range 120 pts for guant. was similar to the range the gave me 100 pts. I wouldn't worry too much about retaking the test it just won't make too much a difference since you already did well.

Your scores are fine. Even at the minimum a 710 and 680 are very respectable. You do not need a perfect Q score since you're not a science-focused degree seeker anyway. Most 'good' schools for V, I would think, average around a 650 or a 710, so really relax and take pride in your scores and move on to the next step.

Thank you both. I realize I'm being somewhat neurotic but it's comforting to be reassured. It's just strange to be part of the introduction of a new system rather than see how I fit in something well established.

Thank you both. I realize I'm being somewhat neurotic but it's comforting to be reassured. It's just strange to be part of the introduction of a new system rather than see how I fit in something well established.

I took the test on the 9th haha so I also have to wait so I understand how you're feeling. So I'm just going to pretend it never happened until November XD