What to do...

asdfman123

I'm trying to get into a computer science master's program but I'm wondering what my chances are of getting into a decent program, and what strategies I should take. Here's some background information; I hope you don't mind my rant.

I graduated from a top school (Stanford) with a degree in geophysics and a low GPA: 2.7. My in-major GPA was actually a little lower. (I was pretty depressed and burnt out in college; maybe I should put that on my statement of purpose.) I'm taking some post-baccalaureate computer science classes at a local, middle-of-the-road school, the University of Houston. Basically, I'm taking all the courses I would have taken in a computer science program. I got a 3.5 last semester, and I'm enrolled for 4 more classes this semester. I'm gonna get a 4.0 this time...

I also have a broad range of research experience in college, but it's all over the place. Particle physics, then materials science, then an IT-ish project for geophysics, with some light programming. I perhaps look a little unfocused.

I can't think of any great recommendations from undergrad. I was a pretty bad student. I think there are some UH professors I can ask, though. I also think I can get a very high GRE score, because standardized tests are the one thing in life I'm undeniably good at...

Anyway, what are my odds for applying in the winter? Does anyone have any general advice for me? Also, while I'm at it, what are some CS GRE study materials?

Edited by asdfman123

You and I actually have pretty similar backgrounds. Very low undergrad GPA in a non-CS STEM field from a tippy-top university, post-bac classes in CS in a mid-level department, wanting an MS in CS. I was accepted to MS programs in CS (this is my last year in mine and I'm applying for PhD programs), which bodes well for you, especially since my undergrad GPA was even lower than yours.

One thing I was doing, was working in a CS research job (I was taking my post-bac classes part-time). That helped me clarify my research interests and get a couple of publications before I applied to MS programs. It also got me a letter of recommendation, and some tuition reimbursement. My GPA in post-bac classes was solid but not outstanding. The programs that I got into were mid-rank, and one of them (the one that I'm now attending) gave me a substantial merit scholarship, presumably based on things other than my grades, like my research cred and a relatively good GRE.

Most CS programs don't require or expect the CS GRE, but if you want to take it, here are two resources:

The HunterThinks online study guide:

http://www.hunterthinks.com/blogger/2004/11/computer-science-gre-study-guide-home.html

Chris Scaffidi's study booklet:

http://sites.google.com/site/titaniumbits/

Of the big test-prep companies, the only one that puts out a CS GRE study book is REA. I have heard that the REA book is absolutely atrocious and that nobody should ever use it (go read the Amazon reviews for specifics).