Welcome to the 2011-2012 Cycle

Congrats on GWU. It's great to know that there's still hope for acceptances from some places.

Does anyone know what's going on with Georgetown? I haven't heard back yet.

I'm waitlisted for funding at Georgetown, but I got the impression they had made all the offers when I spoke with the admissions, because they were now waiting for responses--although it might be possible they were slower getting those out than the waitlists. I would think it is probably alright to call them by now. All communication was by email for me, rather than an update to the online application (still hasn't been updated, actually!)

I'm waitlisted for funding at Georgetown, but I got the impression they had made all the offers when I spoke with the admissions, because they were now waiting for responses--although it might be possible they were slower getting those out than the waitlists. I would think it is probably alright to call them by now. All communication was by email for me, rather than an update to the online application (still hasn't been updated, actually!)

I'm also waitlisted for funding at georgetown. What's your subfield?

Well good luck! I hope you find a great opportunity and wish you much happiness and success.

Thanks for sticking around and being supportive.

------

Anyone else reapplying next cycle?

I guess I will be.

I haven't heard back from all the schools I applied for.

But it seems like there's no point to expect anything at this moment.

So...Yes! I will go through this all over again!

I am new on this thread but well already received a few rejection letters...Do any of you guys know whats up with NYU?

I am relatively sure that NYU is done, although there was one relatively late admit from this board, so you never know. They made a huge round of rejections and admissions, maybe anybody who hasn't heard is unofficial wait list? I'm not sure.

So my choice of programs has just got more difficult - the information on MA funding at IHEID is now up.

Now choosing between a fully funded MA and reapplying or going straight for Cornell PhD...

I think I am leaning toward Cornell at this point, but there seems to be some concern about the weakness of methods training there. Does anyone know about methods training at Cornell?

I am relatively sure that NYU is done, although there was one relatively late admit from this board, so you never know. They made a huge round of rejections and admissions, maybe anybody who hasn't heard is unofficial wait list? I'm not sure.

Thanks Megan I called them as soon as I read your message but the guy told me I should be expecting an email by next week well he said no decision has been made yet. I guess I might have been rejected or they are waiting on someone to decline their offer??? Can you tell me your stats? I might have to reapply next year :mellow:

Overtherainbow, I can only speak to comparative and IR, but in those areas, Cornell is great. Just to name a few of the great folks there off the top of my head, look at the work of Tarrow, Pepinsky, Morrison (if they retain him from the various outside offers he has), Bunce, Roberts, Katzenstein, Andersen, Evangelista, van de Walle, Mertha, Shue etc. Those are some very impressive folks that cover a wide range of areas, and I know they have made some strong hires in the past few years. We have interviewed a few of their job candidates in the last 5 years or so, and I have been impressed with their work, and with their comments about graduate training and relationships with faculty at Cornell. To be frank, if they are funding you, it seems to me to be crazy to turn down an offer at Cornell for an MA at a lower ranked program with less impressive faculty.

Unless I hear positive from Georgetown, I'm assuming my cycle is over with admits only in NU and GWU (unfunded).

Considering the fact that my interests are IR and International Politics and Area Studies (South Asia), I personally think it is wiser to turn down NU which isn't a great fit and reapply after doing a Masters.

I guess I will be.

I haven't heard back from all the schools I applied for.

But it seems like there's no point to expect anything at this moment.

So...Yes! I will go through this all over again!

Well I'm sorry you haven't gotten any offers, but there's still hope! You never know. Some people heard nothing from any of their schools and then got offers recently with GWU and Georgetown. You never know. =)

On the other hand, it's semi-nice to know I won't be alone reapplying. Not that I'd ever be happy to see anyone else be unsuccessful. I'm glad I'm in good company, though. =)

This is my new status in Minnesota (website):

Final Review - your program has made its admission decision and University officials are doing a very quick (usually within two business days) final review of your materials before sending out the decision notification

Edited by lordvader

Final Review - your program has made its admission decision and University officials are doing a very quick (usually within two business days) final review of your materials before sending out the decision notification

Hopefully that is good news!! Crossing my fingers for you!

Good luck trying to concentrate on anything for the next couple of days! Hope it works out for you!

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking this forum quite constantly but silently over the last month or so. And this forum has been a huge help this past month, as I awaited decisions, wondered when acceptances were coming out, and dealt with rejections when they came out. I honestly learnt more from this forum, about different universities, how they make decisions and about what it takes to get in, than I had learnt before. I also really appreciate the spirit of mutual support on the forum as everyone goes through the whole tense cycle together, as I really benefited from that when dealing with rejections and preparing for the worst, and I only feel bad that I was so silent through the process and was unable to contribute anything helpful myself.

Given all the information and insights I have gained from this forum I did want to make one more request for some more insights from this forum, namely what are people's thoughts on the PhD program at Brandeis, that is what are the strengths and the weaknesses that one should keep in mind?

Unless I hear positive from Georgetown, I'm assuming my cycle is over with admits only in NU and GWU (unfunded).

Considering the fact that my interests are IR and International Politics and Area Studies (South Asia), I personally think it is wiser to turn down NU which isn't a great fit and reapply after doing a Masters.

But... but... Will Reno! Hendrik Spruyt!

Okay, in all fairness I am just jealous because I got a stone-cold rejection from Northwestern. Best of luck with your future studies! I hope you get into your dream school after re-applying.

Thanks Megan I called them as soon as I read your message but the guy told me I should be expecting an email by next week well he said no decision has been made yet. I guess I might have been rejected or they are waiting on someone to decline their offer??? Can you tell me your stats? I might have to reapply next year :mellow:

It could definitely be an unofficial waitlist situation. Like I said, somebody on here got admitted only about a week ago, so you never know!

I had a 3.69 (3.85 in my International Studies major) at a very good SLAC with Anthro/IS double majors. I have a 3.85 (non A's were in language classes) MA GPA at a top-20 polisci department. 710/770/5.5 on my GREs. I speak 2.5 regional languages in my region of interest plus Spanish. I presented at a conference, but it was an Anthro conference in undergrad. I'm comparative and focus on ethnic conflict, political violence and nationalist politics. Honors thesis, MA thesis. At least one of my LoR's is well-known in their field, and another is young but relatively well-known as well. I definitely do not have perfect stats, and when my apps went in I had an IN for one of my MA classes (later updated the transcript) because of a medical problem last year, so who knows. I doubt I get in on my numbers alone. They are fine, but hardly mind-blowing.

Hope that helps and I hope you get in!

Lordvader: What is your subfield? I saw someone just gave up a UMN funded offer for Theory and I am wondering if UMN admits by subfield? Any ideas? Thanks!