PhDs covering communications and development - any ideas?

Hey GradCafe people,

I have an undergraduate degree in communications and almost have finished my masters in international public policy, focusing on international development.

I'm looking toward the future right now and I'm starting to think about PhD programs, even though I'll probably go back to work for a few years first. I am particularly interested in the intersection of communications and international development... media development and institution building etc.

I'm just fishing around for suggestions on schools in the US or UK that have strong programs in both communications and international development, where I could draw on both faculties for PhD work? I'm Australian but I am looking all over to potentially apply for PhD funding. I have really solid grades from the top university in Australia and international media experience.

Thanks for any ideas!

Ashlee

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Ashlee,

Will you consider a master's program? I know Ohio University has a Communication and Development (Commdev) program under the Center for International Studies ( http://www.commdev.ohio.edu/ ). You could probably pursue a PhD in Comm at Scripps and take some development-focused courses offered by the Center.

I hope this helps. I'm also eyeing the CommDev program, even though I already have a master's. :)

Edited by zoecat

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...