an officially silly question: lit programs/interviews?

As far as I know, you are correct. My MA program didn't do them, and the school I attended did not do them for PhD applicants either. I Know several people in English/Literature Phd programs, and none were interviewed as part of the application process.

Only Duke does interviews, as far as I know (in a VERY bizarre weekend) and if you are in comparative literature, you might get a phone call in your target language (or non native language) for NYU and possibly other schools would do the same. I wouldn't worry TOO much about it, but you'd hear towards February, at which point come back to the board for tips (I have some!)

Some programs do interviews, but only very few. More likely, you'll be unofficially interviewed throughout the course of a weekend visit, which is somewhat dishonest, but much more laid-back.

Just don't drink too much until the professors leave.

• 1 month later...

Hi all, I'm new here but extremely thrilled to have found you all!

I thought only schools that had made offers to you asked you to come visit them - is this not true?? And, if one is unable to visit during the appointed weekend, does that automatically mean a rejection? That's a scary thought.

\

I thought only schools that had made offers to you asked you to come visit them - is this not true?? And, if one is unable to visit during the appointed weekend, does that automatically mean a rejection? That's a scary thought.

I'm not sure that I understand the question. How can they automatically reject you (for not visiting) "only schools that had made offers ask you to come visit them?" In any case, yes--with exceptions--to the first question, and a somewhat baffled "no" to the second.

Several comp lit programs have interviews. Among the English program that I'm aware of (by no means a comprehensive list), only Emory has in-person interviews *prior* to offering an acceptance. Northwestern has phone interviews, and UMass-Amherst interviews for TA-ships, which is separate from acceptances. Almost every other school will either have a visitation weekend, or will let you pick a date and fly in, but that happens AFTER you're given an offer (and usually on their dollar). At that point, the school is trying to convince *you* to go...you're being scrutinized, of course, but the worst they can do is curse their breath and gossip about you. That offer will stand.

To address your second question a little more closely, Emory and Northwestern have BOTH made their interview offers. Northwestern notified their accepted students today (and since they abolished their wait list last year, I doubt that they'll have one this year). Emory only does one round of interviews (early next week--they already notified their interviewees), though they will sometimes waitlist students that they did not interview. So, if you haven't heard from Northwestern, you're probably out. If you haven't been notified of the Emory interview yet, you still have a shot at their waitlist.

Otherwise, "visiting" schools is your prerogative.

Ok, *sigh of relief*. Thanks so much, that more than answered my questions. I did mean "if they do in fact ask you to visit/interview before they make you an offer of acceptance, can they reject you on the basis of not attending their designated weekend." Sorry to be unclear. You did answer it, though. Thanks!

Also, I didn't apply to either NW or Emory. So, hooray, no rejections yet!

I think this thread is for English literature, but I thought I would ask just in case: is there anybody that can speak on behalf of romance literature programs (Spanish in particular) as far as the interviews go? Same idea? Thanks to anyone who can comment! ^_^ And good luck no matter your field!