Any tips for those of us about to enter the first year of our Master's?

TheDixie

Hey!

So graduate school (for me, at least) starts next week. I was wondering if any of you have any tips for those of us just beginning the MA process. For instance- things you wish you knew as you were starting your MA, or things that we can do over the next few years to make ourselves more appealing to PhD programs in the future.

Thanks in advance!

Yeah, I agree. Suck up to your professors. Also GET THOSE LANGUAGE SKILLS! I recommend taking the regular course of language, not those useless translation courses. Take them pass/fail if necessary.

I never experience what fullofpink describes. I was a TA from the start, and also worked an outside job 20 hours/week. I was never as bleary-eyed as s/he describes. So don't get too scared. But I agree about being organized.

Also, BEWARE DEPARTMENT POLITICS! Being too enthusiastic can actually work against you.

"Being organized." I've heard this repeatedly. It must surely be a wise suggestion.

I never invested properly in a planner (chyeah, $5 dollars for some addresses and a calendar??), but I purchased one from Le Targét recently. I'm excited to use it, and scared. I've already mapped out my first couple weeks, and holy crap batman.

Also. I've heard through the grapevine: "Don't ask any questions you have the capability of finding through instant information. If you can't find it, then as." I paraphrased, but I hope that is decent advice.