school's unusual writing sample requirement

Anybody else applying to UVA in English? If so, what do you make of the requirement for two writing samples of no more than 25 pages total? Any configuration that comes to mind seems a little bit awkward. You can either submit an article-length discussion (20 pp.) and a blurb of some kind (5 pp.), maybe a review or something, or you can submit two short seminar papers (12 pp. each), or something in between...? I found out about the requirement for a second sample only a couple of weeks ago and felt pretty unprepared for it: I really hadn't been thinking in terms of sending a high-quality short paper, and to be honest, I haven't had to write a really finished short paper in a long time, because I've been in a master's program, where everything is supposed to be 18-20 pp.

I think I'm going to send the same article-length paper I've been sending everywhere else, then a strong 5-pp. section of another paper, along with an abstract of that paper. Thoughts?

I agree that a school should opt for one of "two papers" and "less than 25 pages," but not expect us to manage both. Even as an undergraduate, selecting a 10ish page paper of serious quality to send alongside my principle writing sample took bit of thought (and then of course editing).

I understand wanting to see plural instances of our thought process, but don't simultaneously give us the signal "Oh but we're really not going to read that much of it."

...on a more constructive note, for a MA student I think you have the right approach. If you have a review, that might be even better, but I would adhere to the page limit, and clearly indicate by leaving your main sample whole that it is your chief article of representation.

I asked my former advisor at UVA and he told me that there were no particular expectations for how the 25 pp. should be divided up between two papers (an annoying requirement, I agree), but only the obvious fact that it should showcase the applicant's best writing, preferably in the proposed field of study, etc., etc.

I'm applying to the PhD program at UVA as well (whether I'll attend the same school again, if offered admission, is another story), and I recently submitted a 20-pp. excerpt from my honors thesis and a 5-pp. excerpt from a successful 10-pp. seminar paper. I feel confident in the former, because it's one of my best pieces of writing and demonstrates my personal interests well (plus, I already know that at least some of faculty like it--they gave it quite a positive review last spring :) ). On the other hand, it was very difficult for me to select the shorter paper: of the two samples that I was trying to decide between (the ones that fit the criteria of being both in my general field and, well, good), one was quite different from my honors thesis but just kind of *meh*, while the other was very similar to my honors thesis (in topic) but more interesting than the other potential sample. So, I went with the latter.

I think I'm going to send the same article-length paper I've been sending everywhere else, then a strong 5-pp. section of another paper, along with an abstract of that paper. Thoughts?

I think that's a good decision.

P.S.--Merry Christmas, everyone! :)

• 1 month later...

Yeah I was so annoyed by the second writing requirement...For my weaker sample, I labeled it as a secondary piece. I'm so nervous and dying to hear from them especially since they have historically let folks know in early Feb (like this week). I have called a few times and I know they got well over 600 apps with only 11 spots--one of their most competitive years to date.