Need suggestions for English Ph.D programs

resolamai7

My first GRE score was terrible (960 QV and 5.5 AW)

I took the revised GRE today and it gave me ranges:

Q: 620-720

V: 690-790

AW: Not reported yet.

Graduate with a B.A from a small university with a 3.497 overall and a 3.89 major GPA

Major: English Literature

Minor: Women and Gender Studies

Working on an M.A in English Literature from a small university (Duquesne University in Pittsburgh) and a certificate in Women and Gender Studies

I do have a paper publish in a scholarly journal which should help my chances and I have extensive conference experience, but I do not currently have a TA position.

Any ideas?

I am in a similar situation. I read that Indiana University expects a 3.9 gpa in all previous graduate level work. So, be sure to keep your MA work top notch. (One has to wonder what a place like Harvard expects if Indiana has such high expectations). My advice: I would apply to a broad range of schools. Make a list of three types of schools based on your stats: Reach/Match/Safety. Pick three or four from each category, and close your eyes and hope for the best!

As important as your grades and GRE scores are, nothing is as important as finding a school that matches your interests, and you're really the only person who can determine which universities pique your interests. My suggestion is to start digging into your list of desired schools to investigate faculty projects, talk to current students in the program, etc.

Unfortunately, schools turn away many applicants due to mis-matched interests.