Question about keeping focused during GRE

Josh70

So I have been studying really hard for GRE and going to take it in about a month. I am feeling pretty good about the content on the test. Now my problem is I have a really hard time staying focused on the test I dunno why either. I had taken the pharmacy test (PCAT) and didn't really seem to struggle with keeping my focus and I did very well on the PCAT. I have only ever taken 1 of the GRE practice tests all the way through and pretty much I started every section strong and as time went on I would miss questions at the end that I really shouldn't have missed. When I messed around and take the practice test in smaller sections I tend to do really well.

Now I understand this is part of the difficulty of the test so I am just wondering anyone else have this problem and have any tips on how to get better at dealing with it?

The one way I would suggest is if you are stuck on a question skip it and then come back to it, that is one good thing about the revised GRE. Ultimately, this way you are not missing maybe easier questions at the end of the section that take less time to answer, you then can focus more time on the harder questions.

I went through this, mostly because I knew in my head that the practice test was just that: practice. Once I actually sat down for the real test, though, my brain switched into high gear and I was able to concentrate better. I kept to the time constraints during the practice tests, which helped keep the pressure to focus up. I'd also try to set reward goals for myself, such as: If I reach X on the practice test, then I will reward myself with Z. Also, just to a little bit everyday so that you don't burn out by the test. You'll be surprised at how much more you can retain. Hope this helps, and good luck!

I went through this, mostly because I knew in my head that the practice test was just that: practice. Once I actually sat down for the real test, though, my brain switched into high gear and I was able to concentrate better. I kept to the time constraints during the practice tests, which helped keep the pressure to focus up. I'd also try to set reward goals for myself, such as: If I reach X on the practice test, then I will reward myself with Z. Also, just to a little bit everyday so that you don't burn out by the test. You'll be surprised at how much more you can retain. Hope this helps, and good luck!

I also found myself getting distracted while taking practice tests, but during the actual exam that anxious adrenaline kicked in and I managed to stay focused throughout. And just knowing *this is the one that counts* really made a difference in how I managed my time. That said, I think it is very important to try to recreate the testing conditions/environment when you do a practice run at home or wherever else -- especially when taking those PowerPrep tests that are so informative.

Ok thanks guys for the posts. I think it really makes sense why I was fine taking the PCAT now and I never took a practice test for it. I am glad to know its fine to just take the practice tests in parts.

Echoing the sentiments of the other posters, I also didn't have trouble keeping focused during the actual test (but trying to concentrate while studying was nigh impossible - which I suppose is why I didn't do much of it). I did have some techniques to keep myself at my best during the test, though; for instance, I went through the verbal section and answered all the non-RC questions, then I took a two minute break and put my head down. I wasn't short on time, I still ended up finishing early, but taking my eyes off the computer screen and relaxing my brain for a few minutes made deciphering the RC sections significantly easier. I'm sure everyone has their own little tricks for staying focused and alert, you should be fine!

Echoing the sentiments of the other posters, I also didn't have trouble keeping focused during the actual test (but trying to concentrate while studying was nigh impossible - which I suppose is why I didn't do much of it). I did have some techniques to keep myself at my best during the test, though; for instance, I went through the verbal section and answered all the non-RC questions, then I took a two minute break and put my head down. I wasn't short on time, I still ended up finishing early, but taking my eyes off the computer screen and relaxing my brain for a few minutes made deciphering the RC sections significantly easier. I'm sure everyone has their own little tricks for staying focused and alert, you should be fine!

I agree that this is a good method for the test as well just in case. During the test they also give you a certain amount of breaks between the sections, so I would say use those to refresh yourself. To the OP, especially if you feel the same way during the actual test that you do during the practice tests. Use the breaks to distract and rest you mind, and I'm sure that you will do fine.

Sollee--2 mins in the middle of a section though? that seems like more than i could every really afford to stop answering questions during a test like this...