Programs with lower requirements

tweeter

I notice most PhD programs have a minimum requirement of a 3.5 graduate GPA and 1200 GRE. Some though have lower minimums of 1000 or 1100 on the GRE and a 3.0 or so GPA. Ignoring fit, would it be safe to assume the programs with lower minimums are slightly easier to get into?

Also I notice some only accept applications for fall while some accept applications during spring and summer. Again are the ones that accept applications year round in more need of students?

An assumption can always be made; whether or not it is a safe assumption, however, is a whole nother can of beans.

While a program may be easier to get into with lower requirements, lowered requirements opens graduate school doors to a larger pool of applicants: those who have competitive stats and are applying to safety schools, and those who have done OK in school but not well enough to meet the minimum app req's of the good schools.

Nevertheless, those candidates who have less-competitive stats may be able to win the adcom of a good school over with stellar LORs, SOP, writing sample, and ability to demonstrate a solid fit into their program. It's certainly not easy, and varies from program to program, but it's always worth a shot. Keep in mind, though, that lower stats could create an issue with regards to program funding.

Candidates should always apply to a range schools - reach, safety, last resort - and pick the program that fits their passions appropriately.

Candidates should always apply to a range schools - reach, safety, last resort - and pick the program that fits their passions appropriately.

so whts last resort..is it sumthng below safety ones ??

Here's my own, personal break-down:

I consider my reach schools to be top tier. I'd love, love, love to go to them and would darn near chew my own arm off to attend. My safety schools aren't top tier, but they have a reputable program that fits well with my interests. My last resort schools are either A) in the mid-lower 2nd tier, or B) a mix of schools I hadn't planned on attending for various reasons. For example, I live with my partner in Los Angeles. Ideally, my school will be within close proximity to the LA area, but I am applying to schools a little farther north to keep my options open. In all cases, the school must appeal to my interests.

Everyone has their own strategy when it comes to applying, though. There is no one right way to do it. You just need to examine your intended schools and be comfortable with their program.