Should I choose three recommenders with none from my school?

beejaei

My first research summer was at a top-10 engineering school, and it lasted 3 months in the summer of 2010. Since October 2010 I have done research at the second best state school in my state with a professor. This summer I was a top-2 engineering school for research. And towards the end of last semester, I started preliminary study on a research project with a professor at my school. Basically, I can potentially get good-great recommendations from 3 professors from top schools (none of which are my school). Also, the professor from my school is the one I have done the least research with, but I feel like he knows me more; I have taken several classes with him since freshman year. Which three should I choose?

The most important thing is that your recommenders know you well. Sure, it's nice to have someone who's well-known in the field, but the strongest letters will come from those who are familiar with your work and can speak to your capacity for graduate study.

This is a long way of saying that my advice is to use the three who know you and your work best.

• 2 weeks later...

Most likely your own professor knows you best. Applying to schools without having a recommendation from your own school just seems odd. Definiately have your own Professor right you one and then decide for the other two.