Confusion on score ranges at end of Revised GRE

BK201

Hey all,

Sorry for being a noob, but I just finished the revised GRE yesterday (first time taking any GRE) and was wondering if anyone could help me in interpreting the scores that I got?

I read in other threads that ranges of scores were given in the old format at the end of the Revised GRE, but it appears that my ranges are rather broad compared to what others got. Mine are:

Quantitative: 460-560

Verbal: 630-730

Taking the lower end of the scale, I feel like crap. Taking the high end, however, I'd say I did relatively well (for being such a crummy math test-taker). I'm assuming the writing will be scored well, as writing has always been my strong suit. Should I just take the midpoint of each score and call it good, or is there any way of telling with a 100 pt. difference? Do I just have to wait til November when the new official scores come out?

By the way, I'm hoping to be accepted for a Political Science Ph.D program in the lowest end of several top 25 political science schools (UC - Davis, U of Washington, etc). I have a 4.0 GPA (Criminal Justice major, Political Science and German minors), and excellent letters of recommendation. Is there hope for me, or is my (what I assume is a) crummy quantitative GRE score going to undermine my chances?

Thanks a bunch in advance!

Edited by BK201

Man, if the scores were swapped (700 verbal, 500 quant.), I'd so be there! I guess that's what comes with having a strongly language-oriented brain over a number-oriented one. =/

So you suppose they take math strongly into account for schools at the top 20-25 range? My experience with my undergrad involved no math whatsoever (other than statistics for research methodology); I was told that Political Science programs put more emphasis on the verbal and written, as those are the more practiced skills in the field. Do you think you could give me the link where you got this info? I'd like to read more so I can decide whether or not I should retake the GRE.

Thanks!

Edited by BK201

The schools that you mention have minimums of around 1100. Just look at Washington's website and you will see that. You do have an excellent gpa though and an A in a math related course may help prove you are competent in higher level statistical methods used in political science programs. One problem i think you may have is getting funding though at some of these programs.

Also, I had a 100 pt range in my quantitative score but my range for my verbal was smaller, only 40 pts. Really, maybe you can apply to a few other programs outside the top 25 and may get into somewhere that's really all we can suggest.