Personal Statement-Need Help

I have decided to go back to school after being out for the past 3 years. I would like to obtain my master's in Social Work, as I have been working in the field for the past 5 years. I believe I am a good candidate for grad school, but I have always had a difficult time with statement of purposes and more technical writing as opposed to creative writing.

I really need help. I have worked myself to frustration over the personal statement, and not a whole lot has been completed. I don't know whether this needs to be very straightforward, or if the essay can be more creative and I can tie in personal stories. I really just need help! Could you tell me how you would go about doing the following?

The Guidelines for the statement: Essay format, double spaced, exceeds no more than 8 pages total, please re-state the question at the beginning of each answer:

1. Describe some of the life events, career experiences, relationships and values that have contributed to the development of your interest in a career in the helping professions.

2. Identify what you perceive to be your strengths and your limitations-intellectually, physically, emotionally, and spiritually-in relation to pursuing a career in social work.

3. Indicate how your formal education and your work, volunteer, community, and other life experiences have specifically prepared you for your master's level social work education.

4. Discuss why you are applying for graduate education in social work at this time, and identify major work, volunteeer and personal/family responsibilities you will have while in school, and how you propose to manage those responsibilities. Also indicate any limitations, concerns or issues which should be taken into consideration when planning your graduate program.

5. Describe any particular aspects of fields of practice within social work that especially interest you and identify some of your expectations of graduate education in terms of your own development and career goals.

6. Discuss your views about social justice, empowerment and human dicersity as they relate to professional social work practice.

I've been out of school for awhile, so I'm not sure if there is assistance out there for me. I've looked for other personal statements online to get a good idea of how an essay is written, but haven't found many. I really want to go to graduate school to continue my education, but this personal statment is holding me back. I am taking one class this fall semester as I needed a class to apply to the graduate program I am interested in. Do you think I could get advising help from my current campus?

Edited by Starling2003

Maybe you should speak to your social work advisor; they should be able to point you in the right direction of what would be expected of you when you apply. Also, they should know of what writing services are available on campus.

In terms of your personal statement itself, you should address what the question(s) are asking of you, but you can do so in a way that projects your own personality and experience. Given that you've been out of school for some time, you should definitely highlight how you have personally grown and matured while out of school and on the field. Schools are interested in your progression, as well as what you hope to bring to the school and to the field in the future. Think of your progression on the field thus far, and your goals-- you certainly throw in some anecdotes that you feel will exemplify this. Speaking to your advisor will help you with this, as well.