I wish to apply for a PhD program in Computer Science next Fall. For personal reasons, I want to stay at a specific geographic region, so there are a small number of Universities that I can apply for. I was thinking about writing to some of the professors of those Universities whose work I find interesting. My academic record is good, but not extraordinary, and I have a few papers published in local journals. My GRE is scheduled in October.

What should I write to the professors? Will it be something like an SOP? What things should I highlight? Or should I wait for my GRE score and then write? Your help and advice would be very much appreciated.

Well, first off, it depends on what you're hoping to get from reaching out to the professors. Are you hoping for some more insight into the program offered? Or, are you looking to state your intention of applying to their university? Whatever your reason is, your inquiry should highlight what that you find interesting about their work, and where your work relates to theirs. Don't write an SOP right away, but frame your inquiry to include what sort of help/guidance you're looking to get from them.

Hope this helps you, and good luck!

Thank you, theadvancededit ... I am actually looking to show my intent to apply. I'm trying to build some kind of communication with the professors whose work I can relate to, so that if/when I get admitted I may be considered for their research group. I'm not sure if this kind of approach will work, or if its too early to approach the professors like this.

Thank you, theadvancededit ... I am actually looking to show my intent to apply. I'm trying to build some kind of communication with the professors whose work I can relate to, so that if/when I get admitted I may be considered for their research group. I'm not sure if this kind of approach will work, or if its too early to approach the professors like this.

You're welcome! It's definitely a good idea to talk to those professors beforehand. If you express your desire to work with them specifically, it can go over very well; it's not too early if you're genuinely interested in their research. However, just be mindful of seeming to just want an "in" for admissions; that can come off as being a little rude or even schlocky. But, again, if you approach them about their work and about wanting to be a part of their own research group, then you should be fine.

Thanks Aaron ... Yes, I agree with you. A fresh graduate should only have a vague idea about his/her fields of interest, and I think Grad schools acknowledge that. I think the professors look for future potential rather than past accomplishment (which is a factor, but not the principle one). And they should be able to see whether the applicant is being sincere or not.

As far as I am concerned, i have finished Masters, and have a relatively clear idea about what field I want to explore. However, I'm also open to other fields of study provided there are good facilities available. Should I mention that to the prof? Or should I keep things strictly under his own area of research?