Is it easier to get 800 on the GRE paper test than on the GRE computer test?

InquilineKea

The GRE computerized test auto-adjusts for difficulty. So if you're relatively strong but might not hit 100% at the hardest questions, you might benefit from a test format where you didn't get all the hardest questions handed to you

Edited by InquilineKea

Given the computerized test only adapts by sections it shouldn't make it any more difficult than a paper based test or vice-versa, because the sole purpose of the adaption process is to gauge a more accurate score.

It says on ETS's website that question difficulty on the paper based test will be figured into when they calculate your score. With that stated, I don't think you can just miss a bunch of questions and expect a good score. Think of it like this, if you are given roughly 20 questions per section and you miss 5 in two sections while another person taking the computerized test didn't miss any questions, do you think you scores should be the same the answer is no. On the other hand if a person misses say 8 questions on the paper based test and these are difficult questions, and another person misses say 5 on the computerized test after it has already adapted then you would receive a similar score.

Obviously, if you can afford to do so then more study material is good. If you are fairly good at math I think going over formulas and the regular workbooks would suffice, but given you are in a science related field and a high quant. is probably more important I would say take a look at the Advanced GRE Math workbook. I don't think it would hurt you any. For me, I never study math because I tutor math on a daily basis.