Getting into grad school with low gpa

JackBauer24

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate subforum to post in, but I just wanted to throw this out and see if anyone here has advice for me.

I'm 37 with a Bachelors in Landscape Architecture (BLA) from a respected state institution. My cumulative GPA is 2.6, and my upper level gpa is about the same. The reason for the low gpa was not partying or anything of the sort, but rather some emotional problems I had at the time, which I have since sought professional help for and overcome.

Since graduation, I worked for 8 years at three different firms, and progressed in responsibility with each one. I left my job in 2008 to move to a different area of the country, and was caught out of work when the great recession hit. The recession hit the construction-based industries (Architecture, Landscape Architecture, Civil Engineering) extremely hard, so for the past 3 years I've been taking odd jobs here and there to get by.

I'm very interested in going for a masters in another field.

My question is, do I have a realistic chance of getting accepted in a masters program, even if just on a probationary status, with my low gpa? And if not, what can I do to improve my chances? Should I be looking at 2nd-tier schools instead? And if so, are they worth the cost in the long run?

I've read that taking non-credit grad level courses and doing well in them can help. Is there anything else or am I just wasting my time?

Edited by JackBauer24

It's certainly possible to get into a grad program with a 2.6 (especially if your degree is several years old), but probably not into a top 20 school. I worked in the admissions office of the grad school of a decent (and rather large) state school, and I know they admitted students with below 3.0 GPAs to certain programs (depending on how competetive they were) based on a GPA calculation for the last 60 credits. It definitely depends on the program you want to enter and how strict the school/program is about its admission policies. Before spending a lot of $$ on applications, you may want to contact the program directors for the programs you're interested in.

And yes, taking non-degree upper-level undergrad, or grad courses will help raise your GPA and will show ad-com people that you're willing to work hard and do better.

Hope this helps. :)

What other field is it that you want to go into? Work experience counts more than what you did in school 11 years ago, but the field may make a difference.

Right now I'm considering quite a few, but an MBA is at the top of my list, and probably most complimentary to my first degree.

It seems to me that an MBA program would prize your working experience and responsibilities over an 11-year-old GPA. I think you have a shot, especially if you take some non-credit courses meanwhile and do well in them.

(Yes, you heard correctly, it can be helpful to take some courses before you apply, especially for someone who's been out of school for so long.)

Taking classes before applying is a good idea, but don't take non-credit classes. Take rigorous FOR CREDIT classes and do well in them.

Yes, taking classes can help raise your GPA even if you are not a matriculating students. That is what I did because I am out of school for 10 years just like you. My GPA 10 years ago was below 3.0. But be careful about the classes you take cause it can also lower your GPA if you do not do well. So it is also a risk. You may have a chance at a safety school not in the top 20 if you are going for your Master.