when to follow up for already requested LOR??

nkereina

The grad school I am applying to supplies a form for the recommender to fill out rather than writing a letter. The form requires the recommender to check off a box saying "agree" or "disagree" to five different statements regarding the person the form is for, and then fill in their name and affiliation, and send it back to me rather than direct to the school. Very simple. I sent this form to two former professors and my boss to fill out via email on Friday August 12th. It is something they can fill out in Word and return via email, or I gave my fax number if that was easier. One professor responded on August 16th saying he would get it out to me and let me know when. The other professor responded on August 17th and she said she'd get it out to me by the next day. My boss responded on the same day I sent it and said she'd do it ASAP. It is now August 30th and I have not received it back from any of them, nor heard anymore from any of them about it. I did not give them a due date to return it by, as my application deadline is not until December. When would it be appropriate for me to send each of them a follow up email for status? Is it too soon? At the end of this week, it will be 3 weeks since the requests were sent, and 2 weeks since my one former professor said she'd get it out to me by "tomorrow". What do you think?? Thanks!!

It's probably a bit early to be panicking about this, especially since it's an online form (and therefore arrives instantaneously).

A polite reminder after a month would be the way to go, I think. (Remember also that, for your professors, the first week of school at many universities is now and is incredibly busy.) Just let them know that you're reminding them about the form, thank them for their time, and gently give them a deadline ("I plan to submit my application by XXX, so I'd be grateful if you could have the form completed by XXX").