Chances at MA in General Psychology (CUNY - Hunter College)

Herschel

Greetings!

I want to apply to the MA in General Psychology program at CUNY Hunter College and wonder about the probability of my acceptance to it.

My grade point averages are low: My cumulative GPA is approximately 3.3 and my psychology GPA is 3.42. I must admit here, because of my mental condition (the culprits of it include clinical depression, social anxiety, and a quasi-schizophrenic problem, etc.), I did not as well as I would have hoped, nor did I establish a connection with any of my psychology professors. I also have no experience in research or any psychology-related activity, aside from school work.

By the by, I will take the revised GRE on 27 September but I worry about my possible Quantitative Reasoning score. What GRE scores are suitable enough for the program?

Edited by Herschel

• 4 weeks later...

I hope I am not giving you the wrong information but according to my professors, entry into MA is a lot easier than PhD. MA is sadly still a business transaction in which they charge and you take courses to get the certificate while a PhD is an investment and the school has to put in resources to develop you. I have been recommended to take a MA so that it will be easier for me to enter any PhD program. So don't worry too much.

• 10 months later...

Greetings!

I want to apply to the MA in General Psychology program at CUNY Hunter College and wonder about the probability of my acceptance to it.

My grade point averages are low: My cumulative GPA is approximately 3.3 and my psychology GPA is 3.42. I must admit here, because of my mental condition (the culprits of it include clinical depression, social anxiety, and a quasi-schizophrenic problem, etc.), I did not as well as I would have hoped, nor did I establish a connection with any of my psychology professors. I also have no experience in research or any psychology-related activity, aside from school work.

By the by, I will take the revised GRE on 27 September but I worry about my possible Quantitative Reasoning score. What GRE scores are suitable enough for the program?

If you don't mind, were you accepted into the program? I have a similar gpa & i'm looking into applying there as well.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest joshw4288

You have excellent chances. The entry requirements are not very stringent. Your GPA is fine with regards to the Hunter program. GRE scores combined of 1100 would be more than adequate for a solid chance at admission.