Contacting prospective advisors?

Lexicon

In some fields like psychology or the physical sciences it is very important to contact professors and find out if they are taking students for the following year and to make sure your research interests match up properly and so on. Is this important for applying to anthro phd programs or is it just a waste of my time and the professor's?

Some colleges will not even look at your application unless you have found an academic advisor, so if you are absolutely dead set on that specific school I definitely encourage contacting and finding an academic advisor to work with. However, some colleges don't require this, so just double check with their department.

I would highly suggest contacting potential advisors. It could save you money with no wasting an app. fee. And like above I know a lot of departments won't accept you without making contact first. Some apps even ask you who you want to work with and who you were in contact with.

It's definitely worth it to get in touch with potential advisors. It not only increases your chances of getting in to the program, but it gives you the opportunity early on to start evaluating whether you really want to work with that person or in that department.

• 2 months later...

In some fields like psychology or the physical sciences it is very important to contact professors and find out if they are taking students for the following year and to make sure your research interests match up properly and so on. Is this important for applying to anthro phd programs or is it just a waste of my time and the professor's?

Yes, yes, yes, yes, it is important. Essential, crucial.

I don't even know where to begin, since I am a G-1 and can only procrastinate so much tonight. But, that said, some faculty move, go on sabbatical, have visa issues, family issues, took 2 students last year or none in the last 5 years, hate teaching or love teaching, think your work is fascinating enough to send an engaged response, or so boring that you get a 'good luck' with initials, and these are good things to know. It is also nice to know if your personality matches, as well as your research interests, since you are likely to know this person for the rest of your (academic) life.