Best way to talk to professor about LOR

Josh70

So this is kind of a odd question but I would really appreciate if could get a bit of advice.

So I am pretty bad at talking to people and get pretty nervous. I still need 2 more LOR and I think I have 2 decent options from professors.

My first professor I have taken 2 class's from and I did very well in one of the class's I got 100% on everything and I think he likes me I even donated some bearded dragons to him that I couldn't care for any longer.

The second professor I have taken 1 class and 1 lab from and I think she likes me well enough and I have done well in her class and lab got an A in both.

I also have a class with both the professors this semester. There is kind of an odd problem though my school is doing a bunch of remodeling and neither of these 2 have an real office or any kind of office hours. There is also another problem I couldn't really ever stay after class and talk to either professor since one has to run like right after class and other one I have to run since I am already late to next class.

So my question is what advice do you have to for talking to them? Should I just try and come early and see if they are early and not talking to someone and ask if would write a letter for me or should I just try and get lucky seeing them in the hall or something. Last option but seems weird to me since I have class with them is to send them an email.

I am pretty nervous about how I approach them as well. Should I just go up and say something like Hey I am planning on applying to molecular biology and would really appreciate it if you would be willing to write a LOR for me? Is there a good better way to ask?

Thanks for any help can give me I know I am kind of odd.

You can do it exactly the way you said and most will actually want to talk to you about schools and give you recommendations on applying to various programs. Or you can say you have taken 2 or so courses with them, did well, and think they would be able to write an accurate recommendation. If you are having a hard time getting recommendations still, you can easily just send an email requesting a time you cold talk about getting a recommendation and applying to grad school. I remember when I first began considering graduate school as an option, I wasn't even in the same country but had arranged meetings for when I returned. Since then I think I talk to all of the people I am getting recommendations from more often, even though I have graduated. Asking face to face actually gives the professor a better idea on exactly who you are, especially if you do go to a larger school. Some may just ask you to simply email them afterwards with a CV, transcript, etc. Also office hours are your best friend, consider that.

Hey thanks a bunch for the advice I will email them asking for a good time to sit down and talk, it seemed kind of lame to try and ask them like 10 minutes before class started and with neither really having any kind of office hours that wasn't an option.