Is it worth learning new words for the new GRE format?

little_john

Yes, it's worth it, but don't focus on it as much as you would have for the old test. You're best bet is to learn about 500 or so of the most commonly appearing GRE words, but learn them really well. Also, try to learn them in semantic groups so you can spot synonyms for the sentence equivalence questions. Antonyms may be dead, but the synonym is just getting started on the GRE

Pencilnerd and prasun are both correct. I actually was originally scheduled to take the old gre and had a set of the 500 most used words and used them some before taking the test. Did it help? Yes and no, I did happen to see a few words I actually went over, but I think going over other aspects of the verbal test could have been more beneficial.

Yes, it's worth it, but don't focus on it as much as you would have for the old test. You're best bet is to learn about 500 or so of the most commonly appearing GRE words, but learn them really well. Also, try to learn them in semantic groups so you can spot synonyms for the sentence equivalence questions. Antonyms may be dead, but the synonym is just getting started on the GRE

"500 or so of the most commonly appearing GRE words"? where could I find these words? can you tell me please ?

"500 or so of the most commonly appearing GRE words"? where could I find these words? can you tell me please ?

Something like this should suffice: http://www.amazon.co...15221732&sr=8-9

I actually went over some flashcards advised for the old gre but last minute I had to reschedule my exam, note these are the new edition. I don't recommend you learning as much vocabulary as before.

Wait - I thought vocabulary is even more important for the New GRE... Is it? After all, you're going to have to select multiple correct answers, which means that it's harder to use "princeton review" strategies

Yes and no. Their aren't questions on the test that simply are asking for antonyms like before, but you may see a few questions where you have to give the word that mostly describes a word in a given passage. You will need to know some words that's a given. I think this is especially true in the sentence completion questions that ask for you to choose 2 or 3 correct words for the passage or in questions where you choose two similar words for a given phrase. Since there is no partial credit, vocabulary is important but huge word lists like before are not needed.

Edited by orst11

Wait - I thought vocabulary is even more important for the New GRE... Is it? After all, you're going to have to select multiple correct answers, which means that it's harder to use "princeton review" strategies

The old test quizzed you on vocab words without any real context, so memorizing words was really helpful and important. The new text places words in context, so vocal and reading comprehension are simultaneously important, and memorizing words is less helpful than it used to be, imo.