Writing sample length

Kcanuck

Apologies if this question has been posted and answered elsewhere: when a particular school (in my case NYU) states that the maximum number of pages for a writing sample is 20, do you think that this includes title page/ endnotes? I have a very strong paper that I want to submit but with the latter included, the total page count is 22.

Thanks!

The adcomms must be so tired of reading applications that in those cases, my bet would be: shorter is better.

I'm sure you can edit your paper to make it shorter. Just insert something like this:

[A discussion on the mating habits of the porcupines of British Columbia has been removed to comply with the space constraints]

Edit: Then again, that comes from someone who wrote single spaced (I'm not sure what was expected with regard to page layout...)

when a particular school (in my case NYU) states that the maximum number of pages for a writing sample is 20, do you think that this includes title page/ endnotes?!

I think that it does not include title page/endnotes. I've only been counting what they'll actually be reading. This is coming from the opposite end of the spectrum, though - making sure I meet the minimum. I wouldn't send in a 10-pg document if 3 of the pages were endnotes and tables.

Be sure to contact the department. I wanted to submit a writing sample that is 46 pages including tables, sources, etc. I simply e-mailed the graduate coordinator and asked permission to send in a larger sample. Every school that I contacted was very receptive and allowed me to send in this sample. The purpose of the limits that schools impose seem to be targeted at those who want to submit 50 pages of literature review. If your writing sample is original research, I am sure they are very interested in reading the entire thing.

The best thing to do is to call the school and ask. Most schools aren't going to toss out a strong candidate's packet just because their writing sample was 1-2 pages longer than requested, though others might look at it and say "well if they can't even follow simple instructions in the application process..."

For example, I sent my thesis (75 pages total) as a second sample to the schools that were asking for two papers around 20-25 pages. Of course before I did, I called and asked; all of them said that it would be fine.

I hate to be a downer but how do you know that the school didn't just take your largr sample and pick out the twenty pgs for you? In other words they accepted 75pgs but only read the first 20.

It's entirely possible. (Of course, I also sent my article to all of the schools, which is an example (19 pages) of tighter, more focused writing on a more limited subject.) The point I am making about samples that are over the recommended length (whether by a little or a lot) is that, if you have approval from the school, just send your best stuff. Sending my thesis was not about them reading all 75 pages; it was about showing them that I have successfully undertaken a large-scale writing project tackling a broader subject. Even if they just read five pages and flip through the rest, my purpose is accomplished. :wink:

The adcomms must be so tired of reading applications that in those cases, my bet would be: shorter is better.

I'm sure you can edit your paper to make it shorter. Just insert something like this:

[A discussion on the mating habits of the porcupines of British Columbia has been removed to comply with the space constraints]

Thanks jackassjim, that is exactly what I did. It was actually a great way to get rid of a couple of the sections that while important for my discussion, were weaker than the rest of the paper. At least with the bracketed insertions, I can make it clear (if they ever end up actually reading the darn paper) that my paper was comprehensive in its original form.

Thanks jackassjim, that is exactly what I did. It was actually a great way to get rid of a couple of the sections that while important for my discussion, were weaker than the rest of the paper. At least with the bracketed insertions, I can make it clear (if they ever end up actually reading the darn paper) that my paper was comprehensive in its original form.

Happy I could be of some help :)

I probably should have worried more about this...but none of my schools gave length requirements, so I just sent in my best and most relevant paper, which was a REALLY clear choice in my case. It was 34 pages long, which may be too long, but I'd rather they had the whole thing to read if they wanted to than decide to remove the wrong sections myself (for example, I think the section on research methodology was pretty boring, but technically it's kind of important....) 22 pages doesn't sound unreasonable to me.

Miratrix, I had the same worry as you, but that was why I liked the idea suggested above (explaining in brackets when sections have been cut out). At the very least even if someone reading the essay thinks that some of the sections I cut out should have been kept in, they will know that the original essay did cover such issues. Now I'm on to trying to cut down my SOP from 12 pages to 2.....too bad I can't use the whole bracket-idea for that, as well. Ha...

[Rambling, desperate and wordy excuse for bad GRE scores omitted in order to meet page length requirements]

A 12 page SOP? That sounds like a small chapter to a book!

Ha.

"[i have erased eight pages documenting my academic greatness and strength of character to comply with the length requirement. Take my word on it. :wink: ]"

When I was looking at history programs, UArizona asked for a SOP that was between 2-10 pages. I thought was absurd; I felt emasculated with my measely 2 page Statement.

misterpat, your bracket was brilliant.

Well I finally cut my SOP down to required length, and it was written entirely for NYU so no generic statements or anything like that. Too bad they are not even going to read it, seeing as my app will go straight to the trash bin after they see my GRE scores. Apparently strong B.A. and M.A. transcripts mean nothing compared to some exam that tests nothing I learned for the past seven years. Ugh